Downloading antivirus to laptop

collinsc 10:47 22 Aug 07

An easy one... perhaps

ive never actually connected my laptop to the pc-i assume i just need a conenction wire and then i can download an antivirus on to the PC HD and transfer it over to the laptop?

Kate B 11:17 22 Aug 07

What are you trying to do - install antivirus? Connect the laptop to the web? Connection wire to connect what to what? Bit more detail, please.

collinsc 11:28 22 Aug 07

basically i want to be able to wirelessly connect to our PC. I have a 3 month antivirus trial- so am covered for a bit.

on second thoughts therefore... i can connect up wirelessly and when it runs out renew it with free antivirus.

therefore i want to connect to the PC wirelessly- ill give the support line a call- i tried and failed before to do it myself

Strawballs 11:43 22 Aug 07

If you want to connect the laptop to the PC wirelessly without a router you need an ad hoc connection click here

collinsc 11:47 22 Aug 07

cheers- no i do have a router- but i thought " i cant connect to wirelessly without antivirus"
but then i remembered i have a 3 month trial- so i can

Kate B 12:15 22 Aug 07

There's nothing to stop you connecting without antivirus, but you'd have to be extremely careful about your browsing; and I'd suggest using Firefox with various extensions including noscript and adblock installed to stop malicious scripts running. Though having said that, antivirus won't stop a script installing a trojan, you need other software to do that.

There is a school of thought that says a combination of common sense and careful browsing should mean you don't need loads of antimalware, but I think in general it's not a good idea to on the net without protection.

collinsc 12:21 22 Aug 07

ok- so say i connect up now with my 3 month antivirus- symantec i think
and then i install some free antivirus/firewall- i should be OK.... ish...

as you say- needs some sensible browsing- i hate all those sites with scantily clad women...

Kate B 12:42 22 Aug 07

Don't install more than one antivirus app. Personally I'd uninstall the Symantec offering and go for a combination of either Avast or AVG for AV (I now prefer the former); Windows Defender (which comes with Vista) and Superantispyware to run in real time (and I'm sure others will have further suggestions); and on top of those do regular scans with A Squared, Spybot and Adaware. And use Firefox.

collinsc 12:50 22 Aug 07

thanks for suggestions.

firefox is a browser yes? can i use this? doesnt vista have its own one?

is firefox safer then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…