Downloading

Cesar 10:59 23 May 04

When downloading you are presented with a window asking to download to disc or open, if you choose open what happens, and if you download to disk what happens in each case how do you install to the right directory.

Graham ® 11:06 23 May 04

I always download to the desktop. Sometimes a download will require all other programs to be closed before executing, if you choose 'open' you can't close the browser first.

Clint2 11:36 23 May 04

Also, by d/loading to the desktop, you can scan the d/load with your anti-virus before opening.

Ponty 13:04 23 May 04

My computor is not accepting this disk. After I instruct to install I get amessage on screen saying an error has occured and nothing more. Please can you help.

Graham ® 14:16 23 May 04

Start a new subject, no-one will notice you if you post in someone elses thread.

Wak 16:37 23 May 04

If you download an update for a program which you already have installed, then by choosing OPEN it will download it and automatically proceed to do the update.
If you download a program and choose SAVE you can download it into any folder you wish ( or direct on to the desktop).
You can then, as suggested by Clint2, first check it for viruses and then later, double click the file you have just downloaded so that it will install itself and make the necessary folders, icons and registry entries.
If the file you are downloading is a ZIP file then it will need to be unzipped first before you can install it.
Hope this helps.

Gaz_dc 16:50 23 May 04

I agree with Graham ® about downloading to the same place every time and also with Clint2 about virus scanning the files before installing them. However, I don't use the desktop as I like to keep some of the downloaded setup files to transfer to my girlfriends laptop at a later date. Imagine the clutter on the desktop! I have a folder in My Documents called (wait for it) Downloads. When downloading (and selecting Save) navigate to this folder and click OK. Next time IE will remember where it saved to last time.

Cesar 10:20 25 May 04

Thank you all for your very helpful advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…