Downloader.Trojan virus

tallboy 22:19 26 Nov 05

Norton Antivirus has informed me that I have a file in my System Restore archive directory (C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\..) that is infected with a Downloader.Trojan virus. Norton AV cannot remove this file since Windows 2000 (which I run) will not allow access to it.

The Norton Security Response website gives instructions for disabling System Restore (in order to delete the file) for Windows ME / XP but not for Windows 2000.

Advice as to how to access the file and delete it would be most welcome.

Thanks

Tallboy

Diodorus Siculus 23:16 26 Nov 05

Win2k doesn't have system restore - do you have a third party restore program installed?

tallboy 19:54 27 Nov 05

Hi Diodorus

No, I don't have a third party restore program. However, Norton AV definitely says that the infected file is in C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\.. I have tried to navigate to this folder and also have done a search on the name of the infected file - both to no avail.

Obviously Windows 2000 is hiding this file from view in some way.

Any other ideas as to how to get access to it?

Regards

Tallboy

stalion 20:01 27 Nov 05

try a scan with a2 click here

Diodorus Siculus 22:26 27 Nov 05

Do you have a special recovery disk or a similar recovery partition on the disk? It seems unlikely that it was infected by a virus - there is a possibility of a false positive.

tallboy 22:55 27 Nov 05

I don't have a special recovery disk or a recovery partition. I did what Stalion suggested and downloaded a2 - the free version. To my surprise, this came up with a count of over 80 malware instances!

After hitting tyhe 'fix' button, I re-ran Norton AV and that still reported the presence of the Downloader.Trojan virus.

May be I should purchase the Personal version of a2 and see if that will fix it as it is more extensive that than the free version.

It could of course, be a false message as suggested - but given its presence in the market, if Norton was reporting matters falsely, it wouldn't exactly help their product's reputation.

VoG II 23:03 27 Nov 05

There is something very odd here because as Dio said there is no System Restore in Windows 2000. Silly question but are you sure that is what you've got?

In any case try Ewido click here

tallboy 10:17 28 Nov 05

Hi VoG

I certainly have Windows 2000 - the Professional version. I'll give Ewido a try - although I'm about to go on 2-weeks hols, so it may be mid-Dec before I post the results.

tallboy 10:06 29 Dec 05

I have now managed to access the corrupt file using Winzip. I suspect the file and the associated directories are a 'leftover' from the time when the O/S was Windows 98 ME, since as Diodorus Siculus pointed out, Windows 2000 does not have a system restore.

I'll now endeavour to get rid of the ret of the obsolete files to free up some space!

Thanks for the help. (All those who responded.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…