Downloaded files

vodkagal3 18:02 23 Jun 06

I have XP and my hard drive C is full so I ran SC-Disk which told me the "My documents" files were rather large, specifically "My Downloads"

This may sound a silly question but....after I have downloaded a program do I need to keep the bit that shows in "MY Downloads" or is it ok to delete the entries? Hope this makes sense.

Diemmess 18:10 23 Jun 06

Of course you make sense.
If you clear out ALL the downloaded files you might not miss them, because if you have installed these programs they exist elsewhere in your computer.

No need to go mad and clear everything, but if you downloaded from the net some application or program, you can do it again if you need to.
Just don't delete your own reference data which might have found its way in there.

If you want to delete other lumps scattered about drive C: ask in this thread naming anything that puzzles you. Someone will give you advice on keeping or deleting it.

Diodorus Siculus 18:11 23 Jun 06

After it is installed you can delete the downloaded file - you could burn to CD / DVD if you think you might need them in future, but so many of them are available on the net nowadays that there is no need to save unless you want a particular version.

Diodorus Siculus 18:12 23 Jun 06

Oh, and give CCleaner a run click here

surfmonkey #:@}© 18:12 23 Jun 06

if you are not sure do u have a cd burner burn them to disc as backup if you delete anything that you have to re download then u will have it on cd, how big is the my downloasd folder.

after I have downloaded a program do I need to keep the bit that shows in "MY Downloads" or is it ok to delete the entries?

basically no becaues you have installed it on your pc from the downloaded file.

vodkagal3 18:14 23 Jun 06

thanks a lot will delete them and see if that helps my problem

woodchip 18:16 23 Jun 06

If like me you will not remember what half of them do, if you don't rename the download to something you remember

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…