Downloaded Codec Trojans

birdface 07:46 13 Jan 07

Hi, Downloaded the latest k-Lite Codec pack from a previous thread,Downloaded from files hippo,Ran Xoftspy last night and it picked up 12 Trojans,Scotty on Parade picked up a change in host files,Opening this showed Notepad with two different host files showing,Was just a matter of refusing the one with the Trojans on it,So far so good,But just a warning to check with your Anti-virus before downloading new programs,

brundle 07:51 13 Jan 07

Thanks...Scotty on Patrol surely :) (Winpatrol?)

birdface 08:04 13 Jan 07

Winpatrol it is,Thanks for that,Just hovered over it and it said Scotty is currently on patrol,But of course it is Wipatrol cheers.

VoG II 08:07 13 Jan 07

If *anything* tells me that I need a codec I exit immediately.

birdface 08:30 13 Jan 07

Hi Vog, My own fault,Thought that it might fix poor quality picture while playing DVDs,Picture is too bright and changing screen resolution did not help,So thought that I would give it a try.

cocteau48 08:54 13 Jan 07

100% behind VoG on this one. The only time that I have picked up a Trojan in the last year or more is when I downloaded a Codec.

stevelincsuk 09:22 13 Jan 07

Thought this might come in here - List of fake codecs and other misleading ZLob-installers by Jahewi... click here

when i had problems playing videos i looked at codec options but couldnt find any not 'red' on mcafee sire advisor, so i sorted the problem without codecs!

gudgulf 11:35 13 Jan 07

I'm curious............just downloaded the K-Lite codec pack 2.8.2.0 (full) from File Hippo and scanned it with Antivir av,SuperAntiSpyware,AVG 7.5 AntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator.

All found nothing within the .exe file.

Is this the version you downloaded,and did you find the trojans before or after instsalling the codec pack?

I've used K-Lite codec pack for a couple of years and never had any malware bundled with it.

Think I'll install it and see what happens.

p;3 12:08 13 Jan 07

?from a previous thread? has the previous thread got a link in it to something now known to be unsavoury?

I gather (showing my ignorance on this ) that codex is something to stear clear of?

€dstowe 12:16 13 Jan 07

Like gudgulf, I am curious about this. I have used and recommended the k-lite collection for a long time and never had any problem with it.

Earlier this morning I downloaded the k-lite pack from click here and ran virus, trojan and spyware checks all of which came up with nothing untoward.

If there really is something wrong with the pack you downloaded, I am certain that the owners (free codecs.com) would be interested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now