//some 3rd party need geo

Downloaded attachment in Outlook Express

PeterPaul 15:43 07 Apr 05

I download midi files from newsgroups in Outlook Express as attachments to the message. Where are they stored on the computer prior to saving?

I want to be able to select and save all downloaded attachments as group rather than individually.

recap 16:20 07 Apr 05

They may be in either: Temp Internet Folder or My Download Files.

When you are downloading files, you should see a pane telling you which file it is being downloaded to.

PeterPaul 17:02 07 Apr 05

Thanks, recap.

They are not in either temp or My downloads.

With newsgroups, the posting is downloaded as an email and shows the midi file as an attachment.

I have used search, etc. to try and find the location of the midi files without success. I suspect they are somewhere in the Outlook Express dbx files, but can't find them. They are clearly stored somewhere since I can save them from the email attachment to disk, etc.

DieSse 18:08 07 Apr 05

This may help you handle them better click here

I haven't used it , but it looks as though it will help, at least for the future.

Where are they stored now - in the dbx file I beleive - you can't get at them from inside there.

DieSse 18:13 07 Apr 05

How about this too click here

PeterPaul 19:43 07 Apr 05

Thanks DieSse - I will try the first one you recommend. The second is free but only handles pictures.

DieSse 21:55 07 Apr 05

Have another look at it's own site - it says all attachments. click here

THE TERMINATOR 00:15 08 Apr 05

The attachment should have a name, why don't you then do a search and see where it is been kept?

PeterPaul 07:54 08 Apr 05

Thanks, Terminator.

I did a search - the attachment was not found. I have downloaded and run one of the attachment extractor programs recommended, but it fails to extract attachments from the newsgroup or indeed to recognise it.

I thought for a time that perhaps the attachments were still on the client server, but I came off the internet and saved them conventionally one at a time, so they are clearly on my computer - somewhere.

My reason for trying to find their location is that it takes time to save them one at a time. Perhaps a macro is the answer.

zarobian 09:33 08 Apr 05

If the OS is WinXp then check the folder named "My Received Files". You will find this folder under My Documents.

PeterPaul 09:37 08 Apr 05

I have now resolved this problem, thanks to DieSse pointing me towards relevant software.

After initial difficulties with the program, a query to its publisher produced a prompt and helpful response, and I can now extract all attachments to a folder and save en bloc.

Thanks to all for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…