Download win98SE updates

cherria 09:20 03 Feb 03

Does anybody know of a way to download the windoes 98SE updates from the microsoft web site to I can burn them to a CD to save for myself and to apply to my parents machine. I have BB so I can download no problem but my parents are on dial up and have never updated so it could take hours to download all the updates.

BrianW 09:50 03 Feb 03

Try a search of the Helproom, there was a thread about this a while back. It can be done, but I can't remember how.

MartinT-B 09:52 03 Feb 03

This seems complicated, but isn't THAT bad. It just takes a long time :)

1. Go to windows update

2. Click on personalise Windows Update

3. Check the box that says "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also
The Windows Update Catalog provides a searchable collection of updates that can be installed on Windows-based computers across your home or corporate network. This is recommended for advanced users only."

4. Click on View Installation history - Update will tell you that you made changes, agree to the change.

5. Click on the "Read More"option of an installed update

6. click on the "Microsoft Security Bulletin" lick, which can be found in the pop-up box with in the following sentence. For more information about this vulnerability, read the associated Microsoft Security Bulletin. (This site may be in English.)

7. A new window will open (Hopefully)

8. Some (by no means all) of the updates will have a "Patch Availability" link

9. If it does, click on the link and SAVE IT TO DISK.

10. Do this for all the updates that you can.

11. Save all future updates to disk before installing.

12. I don't know what to do about the updated patches that direct you back to Windows Update for the patch availability. If there are only a few, maybe you can download those directly onto your Parents' PC.

Lú-tzé 10:12 03 Feb 03

http:// www. techspot. com/tweaks/updates/index.shtml

click here for a list of all updates and links to direct downloads.

ricvic 10:53 03 Feb 03

Just adding this to my postings.
V useful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…