download virus removal please help

pc imbecile 21:14 28 Oct 03

I recently scanned my computer with Norton, it detected a virus named Download trojan however it was unable to quarantine or delete the virus so i went to nortons web-site and was told to turn off system restore, re-boot the computer in safe mode and scan and delete the trojan in this mode and then re-boot computer in normal mode,however even in safe mode and with the wind in the right direction and a lucky rabbits foot in my pocket Norton just can't delete. Am i doing something wrong or is it just a new virus that norton can't cope with please help me before i have to reboot my hard drive as this is the only other option i have .Many thanks for taking the time to read this

MichelleC 09:10 29 Oct 03

Try an online scan here click here

leevis 09:31 29 Oct 03

Try going to click here And downloading the trojan fix tool.

temp003 09:54 29 Oct 03

Is the name of the trojan exactly Download.Trojan, or Download.Trojan.B or Download.Trojan.PSK?

What is the file name which Norton says contains the trojan? (The name of the file may not be the same as the name of the infected file.)

I assume you use XP?

JIM 10:51 29 Oct 03

Had exactly the same problem as you,"2 days ago" with a virus Downloader trojan. Mine was supposedly a "mscache[1].exe trojan" that Norton could not fix as stated on desktop with a Trojan Downloader virus warning window.

As like yourself, it reported as unable to quarantine or delete.,so i left the message on the desktop for a few hours so i could refer back to location of the trojan report.Knocked of systems restore and did 3 online scans which reported nothing.

Followed up after reading the original Norton's message again which led me to the location of the supposedly Trojan.
Location = c;\ Documents\Settings\my name etc\LocalSettings\TemporaryInternetFiles\contents\Z1VEDDUX =The hidden folder in win/xp.

Did as suggest by Nortons, (safe mode, scan searched for files in registry for Trojan loader.exe mscache.exe) nothing found. Deleted all cookies/files history from IE options etc, found the folder where the supposedly trojan was hiding."Nothing there"

After running the Norton online scan for Trojans,
found no reported problems It then "clicked" in my mind that the orginal Norton message which stated Norton could not fix,could be "misleading" and really meant that Norton antivirus had actually stopped the "mscache[1].exe trojan from opening its file and that meant the trojan had only just been lying in the, bla bla
\LocalSettings\TemporaryInternetFiles\contents\Z1VE6DUX. where the IE6 history and files were deleted from within seconds of the original warning from Nortons so could not be found.

The mistake i possible made was to delete the "Z1VE6DUX folder" which caused a slight problem as it may have been required by win/xp. (That?s an other story)....;)

pc imbecile 21:36 29 Oct 03

Many thanks for your help however the trojan horse removal tool from symantic is for a specific horse the name of the horse is downloader.trojan and it is within a file called downloader.exe which the pc will not let me delete(Which may be a good thing) this file is within the c;\ Documents\Settings\my name etc\LocalSettings\TemporaryInternetFiles\contents I made the mistake of trying to open this file and was greeted with a file appearing with a .pf file appearing directly beneath it which alarmed me so i imediatly deleted this, so i know the trojan is still active as it tried to open aol anyone got any more suggestions as this is starting to make my head hurt,i should have paid attention in IT at school!

critic-al 21:44 29 Oct 03
  JIM 23:02 29 Oct 03

This symantec link (if it appears) for online scan covers all know Trojan's.Not a special tool.

click here

Virus Detection* identifies any known viruses and Trojan horses

temp003 09:14 30 Oct 03

Try this. Disable System Restore.

Click Start, Run, type msconfig and press Enter. Select Startup.

Look for any startup item that refers to downloader.exe in the Command column (the trouble is it may be another file running now, so look out for any unfamiliar files). If you find it, untick the box. Click OK. If not sure whether you should untick a particular item, post back with the name of the file with the full path.

If you can't find anything suspicious, go to c:\documents and settings\[YourUserName]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder and see if it has a shortcut to downloader.exe. If so, delete it.

Check also c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder. If there's a shortcut to downloader.exe, delete it from the folder.

Whether you find a reference to it or not in the above 3 places, right click an empty part of the Taskbar at the bottom, select Task Manager. Select Processes tab. See if you can see downloader.exe. If you see it, highlight it, and click End Process. Exit Task Manager.

Then go to Control Panel, Internet Options (with IE closed), under the General tab, Temporary Internet Files, click Delete Files and Delete Cookies. click OK.

Then click here and download the file exp.cmd on that page and save it to disk. Save it to the c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder.

Then restart computer.

The exp.cmd script file is supposed to clear out the Temporary Internet Files Folder before Windows is fully loaded. Hopefully it will help.

Do another scan and see if the trojan is still there.

pc imbecile 21:54 30 Oct 03

Many thanks to all who helped me out particular thanks to temp003 for taking the time to lead me by the hand through the process unfortunatly i found nothing that could be deleted in any of these files but thanks for the time and trouble.The problem was solved by performing an online scan recomended by Michellec above as soon as the online scanner detected the infected file then Norton deleted it. So many thanks Michellec,could i also thank everyone who took the time and trouble to read and offer possible soloutions to my problem. The only problem i have now is wondering what drives someone to write these malicious programs in the first place as all that was gained is giving me a headache for a week. Very clever thanks again everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…