NORTON ANTI-VIRUS

Virus Alert

Object Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dqqoudd.exe

Virus Name: Download Trojan [this is in blue &
underlined as a
link ? ]

Action Taken: Access to the file was denied

O K

I have run disk clean up and also looked in the forum history where VoG previously suggested going into Control Panel and Deleting Off-line content file but when I do this, the screen freezes with the egg timer and I have to alt ctrl and delete to end the task. I don't know if I am supposed to click the blue Download Trojan link in the panel to get rid of message. I am not a competent surfer so please excuse any stupidity on my part. Anyone got any solutions that are not too difficult for me to try ??

Many thanks

VoG II 09:56 14 Jul 05

Try running a² click here to remove it.

rozelle 10:15 14 Jul 05

Thanks VoG for your prompt response. I have clicked on the link and A-squared comes up and I cannot find anywhere that I should activate on this. I did go to the Trojans section where it said it could run a scan to detect any Trojans and when I looked where to continue, it went on about Active-X and these may not work bla de bla. It said I should Start Scan in the Control panel below but I could not find anywhere to click on Start Scan. I am a dimbo I know. Can you sort of spell out to me exactly how I can activate Clean Up and is A-Squared the new name for this?? I have to go out now, on a 100mile return trip so I will not be on line again untl around 3.0pm.
Hoping you can help me along with this.

Maggie

rozelle 10:15 14 Jul 05

Thanks VoG for your prompt response. I have clicked on the link and A-squared comes up and I cannot find anywhere that I should activate on this. I did go to the Trojans section where it said it could run a scan to detect any Trojans and when I looked where to continue, it went on about Active-X and these may not work bla de bla. It said I should Start Scan in the Control panel below but I could not find anywhere to click on Start Scan. I am a dimbo I know. Can you sort of spell out to me exactly how I can activate Clean Up and is A-Squared the new name for this?? I have to go out now, on a 100mile return trip so I will not be on line again untl around 3.0pm.
Hoping you can help me along with this.

Maggie

VoG II 10:24 14 Jul 05

click here to download a², install it and run a scan. a² is a trojan scanner that is better at finding and removing trojans than most, if not all, virus scanners.

CleanUp! click here is something completely different - it clears out your temporary internet files. Useful if a trojan is in there but in your case it is in C:\WINDOWS\system32.

rozelle 16:49 14 Jul 05

Hi again VoG

Amazingly since I am duch a duffer, I did manage to install ASquare and run a scan. It found 7 items of Mals - six were just Cookies but the 7th was something out of system32 but the code prior to the .exe was different to the one mentioned on the Norton Virus Alert Pop-up. To my dismay though the Pop up panel has not gone away. Having said that, it has not shown its face for the past 15 mins which is surprising because it has been quite persistent over the past 24 hours. Now I think the message in the panel has changed. Against Action taken: I thought it said "Access to the file was denied"
However, now the last line reads something like
Repair cannot be undertaken - so message must have altered - or I dreamt up what I thought it said earlier. If this is a genuine Norton Virus Alert, why is the panel continually popping up unless that is normal for Norton Alerts - good question. Thanks for your help just don't know what to do about the problem now though.

Maggie

VoG II 16:53 14 Jul 05

Try manually deleting the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dqqoudd.exe manually in Windows Explorer. If you get a message that the file is in use and cannot be deleted restart in Safe Mode click here and try again. If it still won't go try using Remove on Reboot click here

rozelle 17:24 14 Jul 05

Hi again

I am going to follow your advice later this evening, when I will have my sister on the other end of the phone, guiding me along. Will advise you in due course. I very much appreciate all the help you are giving to me.

Thanks

Maggie

rozelle 11:41 15 Jul 05

Had a nice surprise after my posting yesterday - the pop-up has not appeared again !!! Now I don't know if this indicates that my problem is solved or not ?????? Hope I am not tempting fate by saying this.

Whatever, my sister is due here on Tuesday morning and she said she will try to ascertain whether system 32 is still there and whether she can remove it. She has said I must back everything up on to disc in case removing things causes my system to crash !! It is best if I leave her to have a go because I don't understand safe mode and manual removal, nor back up procedures but I would have thought that system restore would have taken care of any crash danger ?? I am quite sensible in many areas but do not have the expertise to delve into computer technicalities.

Like a lot of people, I do say a prayer of thanks for people like yourself who are such gems when help is needed.

Will post again on Tuesday with an update - and keep my fingers crossed in the mean time that I do not see pop-up staring at me again.

Thanks
Maggie

rozelle 13:12 19 Jul 05

Hi Vog

Just to confirm that following your suggestion to install A-squared, it did do the trick and got rid of the problem. When my sister came this morning and ran a check, report showed No virus present so there was no need for any other action to be taken.

Thanks so much for your help - as always, so much appreciated.

VoG II 17:38 19 Jul 05

Glad to hear it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…