download to temp file - how to move it!

Tcan 18:52 08 Feb 03

Hi everyone,posted here last night about a problem I was having downloading a gane demo of earth & beyond which is 1.06 Gb in size.After a bit of searching around I seem to have found why I cannot download a complete file. Apparently, although u download to a specific location,XP saves it first in the Windows/temp file first.For me,I have a partitoned 80Gb H/D,where C: is the O/S only that is only 2Gb in size.My problem is this partition is not big enough for a temp file that big (not enough space,XP takes about 1.15 Gb.

Any ideas on how to move the temp file?

crx16 18:57 08 Feb 03

how about installing a download manager into another partition,then use that to download the game?

leo49 19:00 08 Feb 03

This is how to do it in ME - should be similar for you. Run msconfig and on the Environment Tab you can designate the location.

Tcan 19:01 08 Feb 03

crx16,the download mangers that are available for the demo are mainly gamespot & file planet,which default into the c: so I am back where I started! I do not seem able to to change the location for these either. If I am getting the wrong end of the stick & u mean something like mozilla, it would still need to use the above managers to get the file in the first place.

serves me right for being clever & having partions!

Tcan 19:03 08 Feb 03

leo49,have ran msconfig but cannot see any enviroment tab,running xp pro

crx16 19:10 08 Feb 03

i thought if you installed 'download accelerator plus' you could specify where to install.but im only here

leo49 19:12 08 Feb 03

Sorry, hopefully an XP user will point the way. You might find something here:

click here

click here

click here

crx16 19:17 08 Feb 03

check this screen shot from DAP,note you can select temp folder and destination folder click here

Tcan 19:19 08 Feb 03

thanks for the replies! Problem is I have found vague references to enviroment under XP but nothing specific.Does anyone else do large downloads onto a partioned H/D?

leo49 19:21 08 Feb 03

Yes but in ME - I have a dedicated partition for downloads and use Download Express.

Tcan 19:30 08 Feb 03

I too thought I would use a dedicated partition for downloads but came unstuck as i did not realise the file went elsewhere beforehand!!!

I do not use download managers as i have a 1mb cable connection.

keep them coming!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…