download speeds

john1000 00:28 10 Jul 03

i have a adsl broadband connection with freeserve my connection speed is 800 kbps the thing i am puzzeled with is on some sites my download speed is 55 to 60 kb/sec and others fall down to 5kb/sec why is this i know sites can get busy but for some reason i dont think that is the problem i am running xp home help much appreciated

AndySD 00:50 10 Jul 03

Its not just the site bieng busy it can also depend on the number of hops to a site and their response times... (how many servers it go through)

Try going Start then All Programs then Accessories and choose command prompt. Type in

and hit Enter

hugh-265156 01:54 10 Jul 03

i have ntls 600k service and this normally translates to around 65-70kbs download speed.

it will vary depending on the location and the server your connectiog to.

check your connection click here

-pops- 06:09 10 Jul 03

In addition to the above, be careful as well to distinguish between bits and bytes.

Bits are often used when referring to download speeds because it gives a much better impression. The things you see in the boxes on screen whilst you're downloading are most likely bytes.

Remember 8 bits = 1 byte so your 800KbS dosn't look nearly as impressive when it really means 100KBS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…