Download Speeds

Mark McC 23:33 25 Oct 06

i was just wondering when i download a file off the internet at 259KB/s and when i do a speed test it says my down stream is 1,923.7KBP/s so y cant i download at that speed instead of 259 any suggestions??

Mark

Quite Puzzled

De Marcus™ 23:41 25 Oct 06

That's because when you download off torrents, you aren't downloading off the internet so to speak, torrents are pieces of files held on a network of 'seeding' pc's. If for example you download Ubuntu through torrent software, you download at the collective speed of each seeders upload speed, i.e. the more people who have the same file you want (or part of the same file you want), the faster it will download. On the other hand, when you download off a server (internet), you download at your rated line speed (plus overheads) or less if the server has speed limitations or is especially busy).

I think I've explained it right.....

De Marcus™ 23:42 25 Oct 06

That's because when you download off torrents, you aren't downloading off the internet so to speak, torrents are pieces of files held on a network of 'seeding' pc's. If for example you download Ubuntu through torrent software, you download at the collective speed of each seeders upload speed, i.e. the more people who have the same file you want (or part of the same file you want), the faster it will download (subject to ISP service). On the other hand, when you download off a server (internet), you download at your rated line speed (plus overheads) or less if the server has speed limitations or is especially busy).

I think I've explained it right.....

Sorry missed a bit so posted again.

rdave13 00:01 26 Oct 06

Possibly your speed test result is in kilo bits.
Ie 1,923.7 kbps = 240.4 kBps.

DieSse 00:17 26 Oct 06

I think Rdave13 might be correct here - you may be confusing your bits and Bytes.

B = Bytes (8 bits)

b = bits

So as he points out a 2Mbps (Megabits) = 2,000Kbps (Kilobits) = 250KBps (KiloBytes)

All are approximate maximums, never reached in practice.

Mark McC 15:56 26 Oct 06

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…