Download Speed Slow

ah1802 22:04 19 Feb 07

I have recently changed my isp to uk online, as i had a bad service from my previous isp. my connection seems fine until i want to down load. i have a done several speed checks and the average is 6500kbps. is there any settings that can slow down my download speed. i have tried downloading for many different sites, just to make sure it isn’t a slow server the site is using but its like this with them all. any help will be appreciated.
Adam

sean-278262 22:09 19 Feb 07

6500kilobits per second is not the same as a download speed of 6500kilobytes per second. There is a difference of a factor of 8. aka 6500kbps download speed means you can download at a max 815kilobytes per second or 0.8mb. This is one of the most commonly complained about things when people get broadband the inability to compare between the two named details.

ah1802 22:12 19 Feb 07

sorry, i forgot to mention that the download speed averages at about 50kbps, shouldn't it be around 500kbps??

sean-278262 22:14 19 Feb 07

Depends on the server you are using. Would you want to pay the extra money to service infrastructure to carry faster downloads when most people wont have the connection to download by it. Supply and demand in general. Where are you downloading from? And how big a file?

ah1802 22:16 19 Feb 07

for example i downloaded the trial version of nero that was around 50kbps and ligthscribe drive that was the same speed. :(

sean-278262 22:19 19 Feb 07

You never answered my second question of what size are these files. I dont use nero or whatever the second item is. However trial versions are usually offered on slower servers as the company wont be getting any profit from it until you buy it so for those who are hacking them and the others who dont want to use it they limit the speed and for the full versions download they often have a higher speed server. Another point to check is throttling by your ISP for downloads. Check with the contract terms for details on that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now