Download problem - no save dialogue

Lionel M 18:18 31 Aug 03

When I try to download from a site where you have to click a button to start the download, I cannot find the download. There is activity over the web connection, and after a time I get a blank page with a very small icon in the top left corner. I do not get any dialogue box.

I have no problem when the donwload is via a link on the page - I can right click and get the Save file dialogue.

I had this problem with Windows ME and it has persisted with XP and IE 6. I have Norton Firewall, but its log does not show anything being blocked.

howard60 20:04 31 Aug 03

the simple thing to do is turn off norton and try again. If it works you then know what the problem is.

Lionel M 21:38 31 Aug 03

I've checked with the Firewall turned off, and exactly the same happens!

powerless 21:54 31 Aug 03

Try this click here

Lionel M 07:05 01 Sep 03

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've followed all the instructions apart from reinstalling Internet Explorer. Since the problem was present when I had Windows ME I am very doubtful that reinstalling the operating system complete with IE would make any difference.

All other links work OK: it is only the link from buttons to download files that fails to open the Save file dialogue.

jazzypop 07:15 01 Sep 03

Try downloading Sun's Java from click here

Lionel M 18:23 02 Sep 03

My computer has Microsoft Virtual Machine installed.

What will I need to do to replace it with Sun's Java?

Also the file download works OK on another computer that has XP without VM or Sun java installed (ther is no java section in the internet options), so I doubt that replacing one Java with another would affect this issue.

jazzypop 19:34 02 Sep 03

OK, so don't try it :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…