Download new mail only in Outlook

ARB 17:18 04 Jan 06

Is there a way to only download NEW mail in outlook 2003? I like to keep a copy on line so I can download it at home as well, but my office keeps downloading multiple coipies?

Skyver 17:53 04 Jan 06

Amongst Outlook's account settings, look for something like `Delete files from server after download` or `Leave a copy of messages on the server`, tick or untick as required.I don't specifically know where you will find it, I only know where it is in Outlook Express' settings.

ARB 14:21 05 Jan 06

You would normally be quite correct, but I cannot find the command in Outlook 2003?

Damn Machine 14:29 05 Jan 06

tools
email accounts
view... + next [select your account]
change
more settings
advance tab
"leave a copy of the message on server"

ARB 14:49 05 Jan 06

I don't have a problem leaving a copy on the server, but I only want to pick up NEW messages on my work PC.

Damn Machine 15:16 05 Jan 06

Are you saying:

1. that if you leave the message on the server your work PC finds it again and again? Or
2. that if you open a message at home your work PC won't pick it up?

I know it can be annoying when you post a question in a forum and you get responses that ask why you want to do this, but (and sorry about this) why do you want to do this? If it's to seperate work and personal emails I have an idea but I wont bore you unless thats the reason.

ARB 15:22 05 Jan 06

The first problem applies. Thanks for your assistance.

Damn Machine 15:31 05 Jan 06

Ok - that's really surprising. I never leave messages on the server so I'm gonna have a ply about with Outlook, but I'd guess that the messages aren't being marked as "read" so that Outlook is picking the same "unread" message again and again.

I'm also surprised that you haven't been deluged with suggestions from the more competant. I'll get back to you.

Damn Machine 16:03 05 Jan 06

I think there's something wrong with your Outlook.

Using Outlook 2003, Outlook Express and net mail I've just tried sending myself mails and leaving them on the server. Each application finds the new mail and copies it, but only once and it remains on the server. I'm guessing that this is what you want to happen.

So... do you have an IT department (assuming they can do more than just to say "turn it off and on), or failing that try "Help" then "Detect & Repair", but this takes a while and might want a disc.

Just a shot in the dark, check your Outlook rules to make sure your not automatically forwarding the messages to yourself.

Would you be able to post your findings, 'cos I'm curious now.

Damn Machine 17:16 05 Jan 06
  ARB 10:22 09 Jan 06

Thanks for the assistance. I followed your click through and took the advice of lengthening the time out which appears to date to have worked. Resolved - at present!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…