Download Managers???

Phil930 22:18 11 Jun 03

I am still in the world of 56K and sometimes have to download reasonable large files...

Someone told me about download managers but i am unsure as to what they do. Are they reliable or are they a method for spyware software or hackers to get onto my machine?

What is a good download manager to go with? I would rather have a free one!!

Gman 22:24 11 Jun 03

Download managers attempt multi downloads simultaniously from the same server so if it attempts 4 times your file should download 4 times faster. It also allows you to Q downloads when your away from your Pc f(for example) but more importantly, if you lose your connection you can normally continue where you left off before or indeed stop and continue later as your own choice. I use Download Accelarator which is a very popular one
click here?

Stuartli 22:25 11 Jun 03

A first class free download manager is FreshDownload from click here

If you use IE make sure this is selected as the default browser in Options.

FreshDownload will normally appear automatically when you click on a download link but, if not, right click and bring up the usual menu.

You will be able to Download with FreshDownload or Download All as appropriate.

mikef™ 22:25 11 Jun 03

Have a look here click here={AB9B856E-5B0B-44F6-933B-4B5D9621F59C} for an independent review

hugh-265156 22:26 11 Jun 03

i use star downloader(bad name)but would recommend it to you.click here

it will download to C/download or wherever you want it to.

has a resume function if you get cut off

will use your antivirus to scan the download on compleation(you need to set this in options)

and has no adware unlike some others and is completely free.

as for speeding up the download it wont do much.most claim to do this but they dont work.

hany nontheless

will use your antivirus to scan the download on compleation(you need to set this in options)

as for speeding up the download it wont do much.most claim to do this but they dont work.

handy nontheless

handy nontheless

mikef™ 22:27 11 Jun 03

sorry try this link click here and wait for the redirect

Stuartli 22:28 11 Jun 03

Gman's posting came up at the same time as mine - to expand on it, both DA and FD will resume a download if a connection is lost (or can be paused as necessary) providing the website supports it.

In the case of FreshDownload (I haven't used DA) it indicates if Resume is available.

FreshDownload has the advantage of having no advertising material.

hugh-265156 22:28 11 Jun 03

apologies for the extra posts oops!

woodchip 22:31 11 Jun 03

I can recommend Download Accelerator, as Gman in your first post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…