download manager for DI7 update

Carafaraday 10:47 10 Oct 04

I want to download the update for DriveImage 7 but it will take me over 3 hours as I have a dial-up connection.
Can someone recommend a download manager? I am a bit wary of downloading freeware of any sort in case it comes with unwanted spyware so any recommendation would be welcome

User-312386 10:55 10 Oct 04

click here for flashget

whatsit 10:59 10 Oct 04

fresh d/load comes completely free of spyware plus they will send you details of any updates f.o.c. you can get it here , click here. ok. whatsit

Stuartli 11:29 10 Oct 04

I also use FreshDownload - very effective and completely ad free; a major advantage is that it will resume disconnected downloads (if a website supports it) without fuss. You can set how many times you wish FD to re-establish a connection.

If you have IE make sure that, if you do use FD, that it is "integrated" from within Options with IE.

Carafaraday 12:02 10 Oct 04

Thanks all.

Stuartli, could you possibly explain what you mean about 'integrate'.
I am presuming that I start with IE, tools, options.........?

vinnyT 14:12 10 Oct 04

Carafaraday start FreshDownload, then select View-FreshDownload Options-Intergration, check the relevent boxes for your browser.

Hope this helps.

Carafaraday 14:21 10 Oct 04

Thanks all.

Stuartli 14:26 10 Oct 04

Sorry, been away. As vinnyT states, from FreshDownload's main panel (however I use the big Options button) select Integration tab and then link to IE or Netscape according to requirements.

As I've stated before in the forums I created a FreshDownload folder in Documents and Settings and a shortcut to it on the Desktop.

I keep all the downloaded files, utilities, Windows updates etc to the FD folder - this acts as a backup and any required for future use can be burned to a multisession CD-R. It does require accurate records of what is on a disk due to the sheer number that can be added over time.

I label my CD-R disks as Various, Various1, Various2 etc for use as Nero file names for multisession purposes.

Stuartli 14:29 10 Oct 04

By Integrating IE in FreshDownload's Options>Integration tab you'll find that FreshDownload automatically opens whenever you click on a download link.

You should also enable FD to use all eight data download channels - sometimes it is able to use them all or perhaps only three or four. Usually download speeds remain the same but the Resume facility always applies if supported.

Very handy in your case if you have a three hour download and a two hour cutoff time...:-)

Carafaraday 09:48 03 Dec 04

It has taken me this long to finally get round to downloading FD. I have tried to 'integrate' as you suggest but am a bit confused by what I found uner the integrate tab At the moment the default seems to be Integrate into MIE method 1 and
Integrate into Netscape (I don't have this)
Will I just leave it as it is or should I tick the 'replace IE download dialog' box? I have IE6 (I think).
Should I make FD the default download manager?

Stuartli 10:00 03 Dec 04

From Options>Files tab make FD the default download manager, use the Browse button to find your folder to save downloads and confirm it; from the Integration tab check Integrate into Microsoft Internet Explorer and leave others unchecked (Netscape and Mozilla, you can alter this if you change your browser) and also check Replace download dialog IE5.5 or higher.

From the Connection tab you can set how many streams of data are used (up to eight) and number of Retry attempts. Then OK it.

I've now switched to Firefox which has its own Download Manager and works equally as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced