Download Format of Digital Video

manrow 09:52 10 Jul 07

I am about to start downloading some digital recordings from my camcorder using Windows Movie Maker. One of the first things it asks is the format I wish to save it in.

It offers a recording mode if the finished output is to be viewed on computer which utilises 14MB for each minute of recording, or 178MB if it is to be recorded back to tape. Clearly very different quality offered.

It is the use of the word tape which confuses me as I would like to record the finished videos back to DVD; hence is it suggested I use the higher recording format now?

Can I then use another format to force the full-length recording onto a DVD?

Where can I get advice on all these format issues please?

Bagsey 10:13 10 Jul 07

The word Tape is to show you that you can record back to you camera ( Always assuming that your camera has vidio in and out capability. Look in your instruction book for that info.) This I do to keep a master copy of my edited epic.
You can then change the out put setting of your software so that you can record your video to Cd or DVD. You mention using Windows Movie Maker, I have version 2 of that and dont think that it will make DVDs. CDs yes. You can also save the finish video as a Movie maker file to play on you computer. I find that Pinnacle Studio 9 and Ulead 8 serve me well and do all that I want as an home video maker. Google Video forums and you will find several very good informative groups which you can join for free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5