Download Failure

twitcher 14:30 26 Oct 09

I have just tried to upgrade my AVG antivirus. Although I followed the instructions, my computer crashed as the new version loaded. I rebooted and found AVG to be inoperative. I tried to download the latest version from AVG and, although the file was shown to be downloading, it didn’t save to my desktop as requested. I tried downloading from other sites but the same thing happened. I have tried system restore to a date 7 days prior to the crash but AVG still doesn’t work and downloads still fail to save to either the desktop or my download file. Windows update still works so I'm using Windows Defender as a stop-gap. Has anybody any idea what’s going wrong and how to put it right?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 26 Oct 09

Defender isn't an antivirus, its antimalware.

If you cannot get AVG to work (lots of people having trouble with AVG 9) then uninstall it and use AVAst instead click here

twitcher 17:23 26 Oct 09

I know defender isn't antivirus but it's all I've got. As to your suggestion regarding AVAst, as I pointed out in my post I can't save downloads to my computer so I can't install and run it.

mfletch 17:36 26 Oct 09

Get a friend to download this for you and run it on your computer

click here

Lets hope this fixes the downloading problem

Then we can go on from there,

twitcher 23:33 26 Oct 09

I would normally use a neighbour's computer but he's away on holiday this week, which is why I hoped that somebody might have an idea how to resolve the problem which didn't involve downloads. Failing that I'll have to await his return. Thanks anyway, I'm sure your suggestion will eventually provide the answer.

mfletch 14:33 27 Oct 09

Go to the site I suggested but dont save the download click on RUN

twitcher 15:51 27 Oct 09

Thanks mfletch but following your last response one of my wife's friends, hearing of my problems, offered me access to her computer. I downloaded the Microsoft file and the latest AVG file. I first installed AVG 9.0 and, after a further crash and reboot, it now works. Before installing the MS file I made one further attempt at a download and it worked. I can only assume it was AVG causing the problem and I have reported the matter to AVG.

Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…