Downgrading Windows on a new PC?

wheels497 20:01 11 Jan 07

Hello

I don’t really want to bore you with the details of my set-up. Please just accept that in order for me to control a PC with xp/vista, owing to a disability and speech defect, I need to use voice recognition software that was last developed for Windows 95! I’m currently using the voice software on a PC with Windows millennium. The Windows millennium PC is connected to my xp machine using some equipment from America, that let’s me control 1 PC from the other (I talk to the millennium PC and it stuffs the keystroke and mouse actions to the other PC). Sounds weird but I also hold down employment as a software engineer using the same set up, although this message relates to non employer equipment.

Anyway my enquiry. The rest of this message relates to my old millennium PC. It’s around 6 years old, in recent years I’ve had to replace the graphics card and the hard drive. Now the hard drive is about to go again (it’s intermittently clicking loudly). Yes the cheapest and simplest option is to replace the thought drive again.

However an alternative would be to purchase a new cheap PC and downgrade it to an operating system prior to xp. Now ignoring licensing issues, how practical is this? Main problem might be getting drivers. If feasible then I’d probably transfer my existing sound card-soundblaster live oem.

Any advice? Anyone tried this?

Thanks

Totally-braindead 20:05 11 Jan 07

It could be done. You've correctly identified what the problem would be - drivers. I'm off to try my motherboard website and see if there are drivers for my board for Windows ME but I don't think they will exist. I'll post back once I've checked it.

Totally-braindead 20:13 11 Jan 07

No, I've got an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and theres no ME drivers at all.
If you can find a computer which uses a board which does have ME drivers then you could do it but I think most manufacturers will not write these drivers as most people will want Windows XP or the new Vista.
To be honest I think you will struggle. Without going into it, as I presume I wouldn't understand anyway, there is no possability of either updating the hardware/software or using the programs under compatability mode for ME.
I'm sure you already tried it but its just my thoughts on the matter.
I think I'll go have a look at some other boards and see what they have in the way of drivers. I'm certain you would have no luck with the latest ones but you might manage to get one with an older processor with the correct drivers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 11 Jan 07

Have you thought about setting up a "virtual pc"

I.e new machine running XP /vista with ME running in an isolated enviroment on the harddrive.

I will have a Google for more info.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 11 Jan 07

click here

for the software

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 11 Jan 07
  Totally-braindead 20:37 11 Jan 07

It can be done, you could get a board like this click here which there are drivers for click here and a processor like this click here or even a dual core processor if the board supports it. The only problem I can see is the audio drivers mention ME and 98 but the link appears to be for the XP drivers. Mind you if you use your own soundcard then theres no problem as all the main drivers are there.
If this one supports 98 and ME then there must be others as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac