Downgrading Win7Pro to XPPro

C3 19:25 04 Oct 10

Hi all,

I've been talking to MS all morning trying to get a Win7Pro OEM product code downgraded to XPPro.

There doesn't seem to be a simple way of doing it. I've been passed pillar to post.

Reason for doing it, the company we are building these PCs for has software that will only run on XP.

I called the Win activation licence number who transferred me to Customer Service, who transferred me to Technical Support who then transferred me to another department (which at least was in the US). And I still am none the wiser.

All the literature I find regarding this says that you can downgrade, but none of it says HOW to downgrade.

Any help would be appreciated!

james105051 20:09 04 Oct 10

click here tells you how, you need an XP disc and key.

woodchip 20:32 04 Oct 10

You need to make sure that you can get XP drivers for the Hardware in the Computer First

C3 08:18 06 Oct 10

@Woodchip - I'm well aware of that. It's not an issue.

@James - Thanks, that article is exactly what I needed. It proves I was doing the correct procedure. As it turns out, the Microsoft Activation Centre seem more than happy enough to give out Installation codes regardless if you have a copy of Windows 7 or not. All you need is an XP Pro disc and a valid XP Pro product code. I've activated the same Product code 5 times so far today with the blessing of the Activation Centre staff. Well, 2 more systems to build and finish tomorrow and another 5 jobs to continue so off to bed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…