Down Grading From XP to 98

mehmet 08:56 21 Jul 04

I have a P4 2.8GHz with 80Gig HD and 512MB DDR Memory running Windows XP Home.

I'm not really happy with XP and I'm wondering if I should replace my OS with Win98SE.

My question is if I downgrade OS would I encounter any problems and is there any drawback to downgrading.

I also have an Athlon 1200 running Win 98SE which boots up faster than my P4 machine. Would changing the OS make my P4 faster.

Any thoughts?

xania 09:19 21 Jul 04

So far, I've resisted all thoughts of moving to XP and stuck with SE. My wife bullied me into getting her XP and frankly I not convinced. Although the NT engine is more robust, I don't think the inflated OS is worth it. I'm not surprised if you're suffering a speed drop, although, with 512Mb of DDR, you should be OK. That apart, so long as you are still using FAT or FAT32 rather that NTFS, it should be a doddle. Whether you'd get any speed improvement is questionnable. Why don't you try running a dual OS system and run some comparisons - remember that you'll need to reinstall all your software into the second partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…