Double postings - and how to avoid them

Stuartli 12:44 29 Aug 05

The website's much documented problems over the past few weeks are hopefully getting better by the day.

However, double posting is still prevalent and I think I may have found a "cure".

If you post a response in a thread and you get up the Database error message, don't resend the posting.

Copy and paste it temporarily and click the Back button. Then open up the particular forum index page again and reopen the thread to which you have just posted a comment.

More likely than not you'll discover that your posting actually went through despite the Database error message.

€dstowe 12:53 29 Aug 05

It would be better if the problems with the site were rectified, though.

The closure of the My Postings section doesn't appear to have made the difference that was hoped for - I am still getting timeouts and delays.

Stuartli 13:05 29 Aug 05

Agreed, but I'm sure that the matter is occupying many great minds and, quite possibly, despite the bank holiday....

Happy Soul 13:15 29 Aug 05

Double postings appear even if it isn't re-sent.

Clicking Back on the bottom of the error screen, or the top back arrow, I often get double or treble postings having sent just the once.

As €dstowe says 'It would be better if the problems with the site were rectified, though'.

VoG II 13:18 29 Aug 05

Great minds ... click here

pj123 13:38 29 Aug 05

I found exactly the same as Stuartli but only sussed it out yesterday.

Also agree with €dstowe but I find for about the first 10 minutes the site is as fast as the proverbial **** off a shovel and then I start getting problems. I usually log off at this time and try again later.

Stuartli 13:52 29 Aug 05

Thanks for that - there are several on these lines as you are no doubt aware and, in fact, I've posted links to the FE's explanation of a while back in some of them (one had the x-head Big Sigh....)

I also sussed it out yesterday quite by accident but only thought of posting it as a thread earlier today...:-(

octal 14:14 29 Aug 05

Talk about Déjà Vu, this was discussed almost a year ago to the day:

click here

Stuartli 14:17 29 Aug 05

If I remember correctly some steps were taken about this including (surprise, surprise) the pruning of My Postings....:-)

octal 14:20 29 Aug 05

Yes, I think you are correct.

pj123 14:51 29 Aug 05

A cull of My Postings was also in this thread:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…