Double Freeserve banner on mysite website

DWYRYD 00:44 20 Dec 03

I use MS publisher 98 to create my website and Freeserve's FTP option to upload it to Freeserve. It initially appeared for a number of months (as it should) under one Freeserve banner but Freeserve apparently changed their settings and consequently it now appears under two annoying banners. The problem occurs because with MS publisher 98 I have to, it appears, upload the file in one zipped file. I then rename the uploaded file index.html in order to make it my home page but as the file already contains an index.html(the home page) this causes a conflict and the two banner problem. Freeserve reckon I could resolve the problem by reorganizing the site but I can't get my head around this problem due to my limited knowhow and software. Any ideas?

Forum Editor 12:15 20 Dec 03

the ideal application for web design, and I've always advised people to steer clear of it whenever possible, in favour of FrontPage, or NetObjects fusion.

That said, you're stuck with your problem, so let's see if we can't sort it out. When you save the site to your hard drive from MS Publisher I presume that you see all the individual files, is that so? If it is, it should be possible to transfer them to your server space via an FTP application. Freeserve provide a download link to a good one called Terrapin, and it's free.

Alternatively you can use the Freeserve 'FTP my site' service to upload files from your hard drive to the server. This will mean that there's only the one index.html file in your space, and browsers will load a single instance of the banner.

Have a good look at the Freeserve help page on this
click here and come back to your thread if you still have problems. As long as you can transfer the files without zipping them you should be OK.

DWYRYD 01:45 21 Dec 03

Dear Forum Editor,
Well I finally got there, thanks to your pointers. It was the zipping that caused the problem - by uploading the files in batches of 5, without zipping, I cured the problem, after much fiddling. As you suggested, Publisher 98 is a pretty temperamental way of creating a website. Having uploaded all 50 files I then had difficulty in getting pages 2-10 to find the homepage, although they were hyperlinked to it - but I think I've succedeed - fingers crossed.The website address is click here should you like to have a look at it.
Many thanks for your help,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…