double barreled drive

dlguk 12:27 23 Dec 10

Hi,

My external hard drive has renamed itself from K to first of all K: (H:). I removed the H in Disk Management and got the inevitable warning about the fact that the drive my not work which of happened. I renamed it with the H and all was well. On booting up the following day it was K: (K:) and has remained like that. I wouldn’t normally bother but while installing Serif updates or some programs I will get a message invalid K drive if I have it switched off so I am wondering if KK will cause problems.

Dave

Batch 13:16 23 Dec 10

Using the example of K:(H:), the first part outside the parentheses is the volume label. You can rename this at will by right clicking, selecting Properties and entering whatever you like (e.g. MyDisk) in the box on the General tab.

The second part inside the parentheses is the drive letter. Normally these values are quite sticky within Windows (in that once you have assigned a letter it stays with the letter). But external devices can be redetected and end up with different letters due to a variety of reasons (e.g. using a differnt USB port, having other USB devices plugged in at the same time).

northumbria61 13:19 23 Dec 10

Are you removing it in the correct manner, i.e. using the 'safely remove hardware' option from your systray?

Try simple steps first. Plug in the EHDD, see what letter it is. Then see if you can remove it safely. If you can not, restart your computer, as it is restarting take out the EHDD then once the PC is fully up, plug it back in and see what letter you get. Sounds like the EHDD might be failing if it won't let you remove it safely.

dlguk 15:51 23 Dec 10

It reads (K:) (K:) in both my computer and in computer management but in comp. man. Under the general tab it is just ‘local disk K’.
Oh and yes it could have been the fact that I added a new hub to the one i have.

northumbria61 22:57 23 Dec 10

What is the first available drive letter? When you plug the drive into the PC for the first time on a reboot, does that come up ok?

Try giving it a letter far away from the used letters. For example assign it "X"

Also
Give the drive a name
My Computer/ Right-click the drive
Select Properties
Give it a name

Windows should be able to identify it better then

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…