dotmusic attempts to get bank details

Raquelmanny 20:45 22 Oct 03

I signed up for the dotmusic site for my son to download his music. The problem is that everytime he downloads a song the site attempts to retrieve my bank account details. I only know about this as I have norton internet security installed and it warns me. So I know it is being blocked, but how can I stop this happening? The other reason it worries me is that it is attempting to retrieve a different credit card number to the one I used to sign up with. any suggestions? Thanks

WiLL-A 21:08 22 Oct 03

how can it be trying to get your bank details? As long as they are not stored on ur hard disk then ur ok.

Djohn 21:15 22 Oct 03

Unless you have signed for one of the monthly packages then I think it will ask for card details before each download as they have to be paid for.

Raquelmanny 21:31 22 Oct 03

I'm paying for the monthly package so they dont need the details on every download. As for being stored on my hardrive as far as I know, they arent. But I know it's trying to access it from somewhere.

Djohn 21:36 22 Oct 03

Then I agree, it should not be attempting to obtain details each time you connect. It may be that the software is trying to place a "Cookie" on your PC to verify that you are on the monthly plan.

This is only a guess on my part and would advise you wait for conformation from someone else, or a phone call/e-mail to .com asking why this is happening. Regards. j.

Djohn 21:39 22 Oct 03

Sorry, .com should have said dotmusic. :o(

Raquelmanny 21:41 22 Oct 03

Thanks might see if I can get in touch with them. As it is a bit worrying.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:52 22 Oct 03

Norton security is a paranoid person's nightmare. All it is doing is informing you that dotmusic are receiving information from a verification cookie that they have placed on your computer. This is to prevent fraud. Dotmusic is owned by BT so I doubt if they are trying too relieve you of yoru hard-earned. Turn off the alerts in Norton, they are totally useless.

G

Raquelmanny 22:01 22 Oct 03

If that is so why are they verifying the wrong bank details?

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:06 23 Oct 03

Are you sure that they are not an encrypted or hex-coded version of your card details? How do you know that they are requesting someone's bank details, cna you read the acccount and sort code? I've always found Norton to be a bit jumpy and completely lame when explaining it's alerts. It is for the previous reasons that I always recommend AVG free edition ;-))

G

christmascracker 08:11 23 Oct 03

In NIS have you filled in your details that you want norton to protect, ie private info that you can put the last 5 digits of the card number, bank details, phone numbers etc in?

When I ran NIS (which I dont do anymore) I put the last 5 digits of one of my cards in and on one occasion it poped up that it had blocked an attempt to get the details.

On having a closer look in the log it was the right didits but had nothing to do with anyone trying to get my card details.

I have to agree with what GANDALF <|:-)> has said on his two posts which is one of the reasons that I no longer use it

Sheila

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…