Dos & XP will not recognize correct HDD size

Sgrb5 17:48 22 May 04

Can someone help, I've bought a brand new system, installed an 80gb HDD but Bios, Dos & XP once installed will only see a 38.8gb HDD. A HDD utility disc through dos does see all 80gb, & even when formatting prior to install was only indicating 33gb. Somebody must know what I've missed. Maybe there is a problem with the HDD itself? Please help, many thanks in advance.

powerless 17:50 22 May 04

Click start, run, type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Next to Disk0 [or even Disk1] do you see one big rectangle or two?

Sgrb5 19:48 22 May 04

There is only the one with a healthy message & is displaying a capacity of 32gb. I have now run a disc drive diagnostic tool from the seagate website & is coming up with critical errors in file structure! The drive is configured with ntfs if that's any help.

powerless 20:06 22 May 04

Click Start, Run, Type:

chkdsk x:

Where X is the partition letter...

Or just delete the partition and create a new one.

Eric10 20:10 22 May 04

Check the jumpers once again. Seagate drives have a jumper position which restricts the drive to 32Gb when used. Master setting is to short pins 7-8 (nearest to the IDE connector) while the capacity limiting setting is to short pins 1-2 (nearest to the power connector). These are at opposite ends of the jumper block so I would think that they could quite easliy be mixed up. click here for installation guide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac