Dos & XP will not recognize correct HDD size

Sgrb5 17:48 22 May 04

Can someone help, I've bought a brand new system, installed an 80gb HDD but Bios, Dos & XP once installed will only see a 38.8gb HDD. A HDD utility disc through dos does see all 80gb, & even when formatting prior to install was only indicating 33gb. Somebody must know what I've missed. Maybe there is a problem with the HDD itself? Please help, many thanks in advance.

powerless 17:50 22 May 04

Click start, run, type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Next to Disk0 [or even Disk1] do you see one big rectangle or two?

Sgrb5 19:48 22 May 04

There is only the one with a healthy message & is displaying a capacity of 32gb. I have now run a disc drive diagnostic tool from the seagate website & is coming up with critical errors in file structure! The drive is configured with ntfs if that's any help.

powerless 20:06 22 May 04

Click Start, Run, Type:

chkdsk x:

Where X is the partition letter...

Or just delete the partition and create a new one.

Eric10 20:10 22 May 04

Check the jumpers once again. Seagate drives have a jumper position which restricts the drive to 32Gb when used. Master setting is to short pins 7-8 (nearest to the IDE connector) while the capacity limiting setting is to short pins 1-2 (nearest to the power connector). These are at opposite ends of the jumper block so I would think that they could quite easliy be mixed up. click here for installation guide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…