DOS - USB Printers

saxman 19:32 04 Jun 04

I am trying to print programs written in QBasic to a printer which uses a USB port. My O/S is Win98. The programs run without any problems but I cannot get obtain a hard copy directly. I can print to file and then print a hard copy. Is there any way to print directly to the USB port. Any help would be appreciated

woodchip 19:43 04 Jun 04

you cannot print on a USB printer in DOS you need a parallel printer to do what you want. It's the only one Dos will recognise

Falkyrn 19:59 04 Jun 04

It is possible to print from a usb printer via some Dos programs see click here for some information re this

Unfortunately it would not appear to work if you have an epson printer

Falkyrn 20:02 04 Jun 04

this site click here for a shareware program claims to be able to print to a usb printer from dos based programs.

woodchip 20:05 04 Jun 04

Yes but where are you going to find WordPerfect for DOS that went out not long after Microsoft Word was invented. I use WordPerfect 10 and 8 but they are not dos programs

Falkyrn 21:55 04 Jun 04

woodchip

The first link was a pointer to some information to show that such printing was possible and possibly to encourage further research.

The full article (several pages long) does give information regarding the use of other programs other than the one in the heading.

The second link is to a shareware program which claims to be able to connect many DOS programs to a usb printer to allow output. As it provides a trial period at no cost other than downloading I considered it an appropriate link to provide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…