DOS screen appearing on desktop

chg 22:25 26 Feb 04

After a pretty stupid mistake by myself I had to do a complete reinstall of WindowsXP with the help of a Technical Support line. Everything seems to be fine apart from the fact that every now and again what I would call a screen from DOS keeps flashing on my monitor two or three times.
The window has something like C;WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CMD.EXE at the top of it.

Anyone know how to cure this. I'm dreading another reinstall.
I have WindowsXP Home, AMD Athlon1600+, 256Mb RAM.

Thanks

AL D. 22:46 26 Feb 04

try putting your xp cd in the drive and when installation asks to start select EXIT ,then go to Start/run/and type sfc /scannow Make sure you leave space between sfc /scannow And click ok.

The Spires 23:08 26 Feb 04

I was reading last night on a spyware forum, (but I can't remember which one or find the site now) that DOS type windows quickly flashing up can be caused by the CoolWebSearch spyware. CWShredder click here

chg 09:52 27 Feb 04

Thanks for the help. Carried out both functions mentioned and nothing untoward found, although the problem has not surfaced today at all. Hopefully problem over.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…