DOS problem anyone?

OlduserII 21:11 17 Nov 04

I have an old Sony Notebook (PCG745) which I am trying to resuscitate. It died recently, losing the operating system (Win98) and leaving me with Command.com and the 'C' prompt. Im afraid I have long since forgotten how get into BIOS to change the read sequence so I can get an 'A'prompt and re-install DOS and eventually hopefully a D disc (CD ROM) for re-installing Windows.
Thanks anyone in advance.

Alan

howard60 21:14 17 Nov 04

you simply type a: and hit the enter key

Dan the Confused 21:39 17 Nov 04

To get into BIOS, the key you need to press is shown on the first screen you see when you bootup (DEL on mine). You can then change the bootup sequence to A first, C second or whatever you want. This will enable you to boot from your Win98 startup floppy.

OlduserII 16:13 18 Nov 04

Thanks all for your help. The 'a:' didnt help Im afraid as it doesnt seem know it has an 'a' drive. (Just went into a sulk with a blank screen until I typed in c:
The del key when loading got me to a screen which gave me three options - Floppy drie, CD-ROM or Hard disk. - Not really Bios proper. and couldnt do much with any of those options.
But, as I say thanks
Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…