DOS Boot Partition problem.

sharpe 16:51 01 Sep 05

Anyone help?

I have just cleaned my hardrive up using Paragon Disk Wiper 5.5. The program wiped the drive twice using 0's. My comp is running W98SE and I thought it would just be a case of putting in the boot floppy and then installing the Operating Syst from the CD as I have done before.

However the boot performs the various tasks, then when I change the drive from the A (floppy) to E (CD)Windows starts to install then shortly after checking the integrity of the C hardrive it come up with the following error message:-

SETUP DETECTION MESSAGE
MESSAGE SU0013

Setup cannot create files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows 98.

If you have HPFS or NTFS you must create an MS DOS boot partition. If you have Lantastic server or Superstar compression disable it before running setup. See setup.txt on Setup.Disk 1 or the Windows 98 CD.

I tried using the fdisk to create a partition but when I answered yes to the question of large disk support instaed of moving to the multiple choice screen it just went back to the A:\> prompt

Anyone any ideas???

Eric10 16:58 01 Sep 05

Have you got a zip drive installed? That is the only time I've seen this behaviour from FDISK. If so then it is sometimes enough to put a zip disk into the drive or in the worst cases it has been necessary to disconnect the drive before running FDISK.

sharpe 17:01 01 Sep 05

I have got a zip so Ill try it

sharpe 17:05 01 Sep 05

You hit it on the head Eric 10 put a zip disc in and f disk seems to be working ok
I will continue and see if it works thanks for that
Phil

sharpe 17:32 01 Sep 05

Do you
1) Create Dos Partition first then
2) Set Active Partition

Not sure of the order you do things

Eric10 18:40 01 Sep 05

That is correct. You can't set a partition active until you have created it. If you are only creating one partition it will automatically be set as active. If you create more than one then you have to do it manually as the program can't know which one you want active.

Eric10 18:43 01 Sep 05

Don't forget to restart the PC after exiting FDISK and then format the partition. It won't let you format if you don't restart.

sharpe 19:47 01 Sep 05

You have been a great help, seems to be working fine now.

Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…