doom 3

my son just got doom 3 after installing it on my computer
specs below
all get is a white screen coloured boxes and circles sound ok
is the graphics card to blame as it is not advanced enough if so could anyone recommend a card to replace it also is the cpu fast enough
thanks in antcipation for your help

1.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
LITE-ON LTR-24103S [CD-ROM drive]
DirectX DX9
40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
32.10 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 [Display adapter]
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

kench 22:36 16 Aug 04

Log on to Microsofts games adviser page it will scan your P.C. and tell you if it will play Doom 3.

dagwoood 22:39 16 Aug 04

Mathy sorry to be the bearer of bad news but according to id software click here your CPU doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

You didn't mention how much RAM you have on your pc, so this also could be a problem.

Your graphics card also doesn't meet the minimum requirements as it needs to be DirectX v9 capable.(According to this click here your current card supports DirectX 8).

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

dagwoood 22:53 16 Aug 04

I didn't even realise there was a Microsoft games adviser! Thank you for making me aware of this as I've often wandered if I could check if my system is up to playing certain games.

Cheers, dagwoood.

Mysticnas 11:20 17 Aug 04

A correction, DOOM 3 runs on DX8 cards as well as DX 9. I installed it yesterday and in the list of accepted cards was my GF4 Ti4600 which is a DX8 card.

However, cards running without DX9 will not be able to render some of the more newer complex effects.

I've noticed that the game is quite dark, infact very dark, i've played it for about 15mins last night, and couldn't see anything, i had to use the torch all the time, and thats not very good when you can't see what's hitting you. Got killed so many times becuase of this, that i gave up. Will log onto a gaming forum and see whether the game is actually meant to be pitch black or whether it's my setup...

Mysticnas 11:28 17 Aug 04

A correction, DOOM 3 runs on DX8 cards as well as DX 9. I installed it yesterday and in the list of accepted cards was my GF4 Ti4600 which is a DX8 card.

However, cards running without DX9 will not be able to render some of the more newer complex effects.

I've noticed that the game is quite dark, infact very dark, i've played it for about 15mins last night, and couldn't see anything, i had to use the torch all the time, and thats not very good when you can't see what's hitting you. Got killed so many times becuase of this, that i gave up. Will log onto a gaming forum and see whether the game is actually meant to be pitch black or whether it's my setup...

2neat 12:57 17 Aug 04

You do have to use the torch quite a bit. I have a 9800 pro and the grafix are fantastic. You have to be quick in droppin the torch(f) and lettin rip. Play the game with lights out and sound up. Sends shivers down you. I have found not much ammo around so use sparingly! I think I prefer Halo type games in open surroundings, able to use hogs etc. D3 needs a very high spec pc and will look and run poorly on anything else. Multiplayer poor. Have fun.

dagwoood 13:46 17 Aug 04

I stand corrected if it'll run on dx8 card but according to my link to id software, it says you need a dx9 card as a minimum requirement.

Cheers, dagwoood.

inneedofhelp 13:53 17 Aug 04

the game is very dark, you can try going into settings and turning up the brightness, but it is a very dark game. I have a radeon 9800xt with an amd 64-bit 3200 and every now and again theres a wee glicth. if i turn on super detail, then it glithes every 20 secs so ureally do need a powerfull pc to play. halo is much better.

2neat 21:39 17 Aug 04

ps dont forget to read the pda files for clues and combinations of locker stores etc.

pinka 23:51 17 Aug 04

That will be because the super setting is for graphics cards that have 512mb of ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…