Don't understand this Win32 message AT ALL! Virus?

AngeTheHippy 13:38 03 Aug 04

HI chaps, today, yesterday was the first time, and today within 10 mins of powering up, I got a windows message tellnig me.. >Generic host process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close .. After clicking 'don't send', another smaller window appeared, >Windows must now restart because the RPC service terminated unexpectedly. Save all work , this window had a count-down of about 60 seconds then restarted the PC.

I then searched for >Generic host process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close on Google & AltaVista and both had articles suggesting the MSBlast worm, and advising the use of
KB823980-x86-ENU.exe to get rid of it. Well, looking in Control panel/add remove, I already have this MS update. So I'm confused now. I also have up-to-date Norton AV, SpyBot and Ad-Aware 6. Nothing else odd happening, apart from, now and then the screen looses all icons (but not wallpaper)for a matter of 1-2 seconds (usually when I've closed an App)then recovers.Anyone have any ideas what this window message means? Would be very grateful for advice.

Thanks a million,

AngeTheHippy
x

ventanas 13:48 03 Aug 04

Its either Blaster or Sasser.

click here

This will shift either.

AngeTheHippy 14:02 03 Aug 04

Surely, NAV AA and SB would have found this?

A

ventanas 14:08 03 Aug 04

No they won't. It's only the MS security patches that will stop them. They infect by exploiting a flaw in IE. The patches, in theory, stop this. Is your Windows Update fully up to date? Sasser is comparitively recent.

Chegs ® 14:48 03 Aug 04

click here

Get this,its better than M$ patch,in that you can actually see if the M$ patch has worked,and also saves you the bother of d/l it in the 1st place.Switch off DCOM in XP and the viruses that exploit XP cannot get in.

AngeTheHippy 14:57 03 Aug 04

Chegs ?

A

Chegs ® 15:08 03 Aug 04

Follow my link...

The strange history of DCOM

Many years ago, Microsoft began modularizing Windows and their Windows applications by breaking them into functional components with well-defined, "version safe" interfaces. The idea was to allow pieces of Windows and applications to inter-operate.

The name first given to this effort was "OLE", which stood for Object Linking and Embedding. OLE suffered nearly terminal birthing pains and developed a reputation for being a bad idea. Undaunted, Microsoft renamed it COM for "Component Object Model". This was still the same old OLE, but Microsoft appeared to hope no one would notice. COM fared somewhat better, but it wasn't until Microsoft gave it the sexy name "ActiveX", and built it into virtually everything, that developers finally gave up trying not to use it.

Although Steve Gibson gets a fair hammering at various points around the net(here too)this is a very handy tool to have.I have used it regularly after a new install of XP,as connecting to M$ Update site often got me the Blaster virus before I had chance to d/l the patch.

PS.I added to your post in "Web Design"

AngeTheHippy 15:25 03 Aug 04

I realised once I'd followed yr link the meaning.. will give this a try. BUT If my m/c HAS Blaster or sasser, this won't detect it will it? Only stop further invasions!

Chegs ® 15:36 03 Aug 04

No it wont detect it,use the app from ventanas link for removal.Yes,it does stop further invasions of these two pests,as I said I use it before I install my ADSL(even though I have now got a router/modem)as the Blaster was often infecting my PC before I had chance to d/l the M$ patch.

georgemac 16:21 03 Aug 04

I have used the Steve Gibson site click here quite a bit, and I cannot understand all the bad press he gets. I was on earlier this week using shields up to test my router, and to me it seems like a good tool.

I already had DCOMbob, shootthemessenger and unpnp installed from there on my PC.

I know I'll probably have gandalf telling me shortly home users don't need a firewall but I don't care, a mates pc got badly messed up with a keylogger trojan that arrived embedded in a web page or something, and being far from expert about these things I feel much safer behind a firewall.

Chegs ® 16:39 03 Aug 04

I too use those apps whenever I reinstall XP(have done for a while now)I have also seen a heap of negative comments about SG,"He's a scaremonger" "Only bangs on about his products to increase sales of his software" but I find these apps to be good,I'm not clever enough (PC wise)to start slagging SG off,his apps are there,I use them and I escaped the worst of the ravaged PC's the Blaster created.(although "ravaged" is probably a bit OTT,according to the press it hit a very large % of the worlds PC's)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…