Don't understand network naming

Pineman100 11:23 15 Jul 07

My XP SP2 Home PC has been connecting to the internet via a Belkin wireless router for about a year now. Generally, no problems. The wireless network name for this setup is "BelkinXXX".

I'm now trying to set up a network to allow my wife's new Vista Home Premium to talk to my PC and share the printer.

I've succeeded in getting the laptop to connect to the internet wirelessly on the same "BelkinXXX" network. But I'm having problems getting the computers to talk to each other.

I've given each computer a separate name, but I'm confused about choosing a network name.

First question: are Network Name and Workgroup Name the same thing?

Second: For the computer-to-computer network, must I use the name of the computer-to-internet network (ie: BelkinXXX) already set up for internet connection? Or must I use a different name?

Many thanks for any advice.

User-1159794 11:48 15 Jul 07

watching.

PalaeoBill 12:44 15 Jul 07

This is the best set of trouble shooting instructions I have come across for solving home network problems.
click here

But to answer your questions:
Network Name and Workgroup Name are not the same thing.
A Network Name is the name you give to a particular network (also called a Service Set Identifier (SSID)). In your case it identifies the wireless network being provided by your Belkin router. You could have several of these in a home network.
A Workgroup is a collection of computers on a LAN that share resources. Windows uses this to allow 'Peer To Peer' networking and enable all of your PC's to see each other in 'My Network Places' or 'Network Neighbourhood'. So all of your PC's should have a different computer name but be set up to use the same Workgroup name.

For your computer to computer (Peer To Peer) it is the workgroup that is important but you shouldn't need to use it. If you click into 'My Network Places' you should be able to see the workgroup with the named PC's/printers under it (so long as you have file & printer sharing enabled).

Pineman100 15:03 15 Jul 07

Very many thanks. I now understand - what's more I have successfully set up the network!

I'm very grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now