Don't know which resolution to get - confused.

katswhiskers 12:02 28 Sep 04

I presently have a 14" CRT SVGA monitor with desktop PC and use resolution of 800 x 600 which I am happy with. I want to buy a 15" laptop and intend to use this CRT monitor with it. The native resolution on 15" laptops is usually XGA 1024 x 768, but I see that SXGA 1280 x 1024 and 1400 x 1050 are on a lot of laptops.

Does it matter which resolution I have on the laptop in order for everything to appear OK on the CRT monitor. I use the PC for research on the net, word processing and email, so I need text to be clear and a reasonable size. Thanks.

ventanas 12:08 28 Sep 04

You will probably find that 800x600 is the maximum your 14" crt will go to. If you try any higher you may not get a picture at all. But you will be able to go to at least 1024 x 768 on the laptop screen. I would stick with this, and junk the crt. It must be quite old by now.

Djohn 12:17 28 Sep 04

The text on the laptop will be clear and very sharp at either of the two stated resolutions but on the small side, especially the 1280x1024 on a 15" TFT laptop monitor.

You should not find this a problem though with general surfing of websites and most text can be enlarged in IE by going to the toolbar/view/text and enlarge from there.

Text in forums like this one will also be sharp and clear but on the small side at 1280x1024. Unfortunately you cannot adjust the text size in forums by the above method. Different browsers such as Opera will allow you to enlarge the text.

When you connect your laptop to your CRT monitor you can carry on using a resolution of 800x600 without any problems.

1400x1050 is quite a high resolution for a small screen and will cause the text graphics to look small but to counter this they will be extremely clear and sharp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…