Don't know ports from portaloos

Phrixos 19:51 27 Jan 11

My Konica-Minolta Magicolor 2550 color laser printer is USB2.0, on a USB2.0 cable, plugged into a USB2.0 header directly to the motherboard--and USB2.0 is enabled in the BIOS. The driver appears up to date. Device Manager says the Port (001) is a "virtual printer port for USB". (HMmmmm...)

There are two "Enhanced," thus, USB2.0 ports in Device Manager--but how am I to know whether Port 001 (or 002) is an Enhanced port?

The thing is, it can sometimes take two minutes (even more, if the document is very large) for the printer to put out its first page--i.e., it just isn't behaving like a USB2.0 printer.

How can I be sure the printer is (or is not) working at USB2.0 standard.

(And what could be wrong here?

Advice?

mgmcc 20:35 27 Jan 11

Normally, if you plug a USB 2.0 peripheral into a USB 1.1 port, Windows will display a message to the effect that it will perform better if used with a high speed port. In the absence of this, the port is probably 2.0.

The "USB001 Virtual Printer Port" doesn't necessarily refer to a physical USB port in the PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:58 27 Jan 11

Uninstall and reinstall you printer software and drivers and retry.

Phrixos 21:10 27 Jan 11

Thanks for the input. (Forgot to to say, I did reinstall the driver. Didn't work.)

Odd, but when I originally installed this machine it printed out much faster, so I know something is amiss. Then and from when I updated the driver the first time, it started misbehaving. I guess the newer driver is worse than the old one.

(I think I'll try using the driver that came on the CD, if I can find it, then go from there.)

Thanks again, people.

woodchip 22:09 27 Jan 11

USB ! or 2 will not make no difference in just printing. It will using a scanner but not to print. It as to be the Printer that is slow or old

Muergo 23:33 27 Jan 11

I had problems trying to find drivers for my peripherals on changing to W7, but I resolved them with "Driver Max" and "Easy Driver Pro" both free.
Dunno if that helps?

robin_x 00:03 28 Jan 11

I noticed an option in my cheapo Canon inkjet the other day.

It was a checkbox for Print Immediately.
If unchecked it said something like Print After Spooling.

Can't find it now. May have been on upstairs PC.
I print over network via virtual USB. The printer hangs off that PC via USB cable.
I was fiddling with settings and noticed it somewhere.

robin_x 00:23 28 Jan 11

It was in Control panel/Devices and Printers.

Right click printer for "Printer Properties" (not Properties)/Advanced tab.

Useful info?
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…