Don't forget your hardware

Curio 18:37 03 Oct 05

My son had awful problems when on-line with the cursor, jumping pages etc. Did all the AntiVirus, Malware checks, checked and cleaned registry. Found one bit of Malware and deleted it. Still no change. Eventually tracked it down to a Faulty key, the lower case i. Keyboard changed with a spare and all returned to normal after hours of running checks. Moral - Don't always assume virus problems when things go awry. Always try the obvious, could save time.

Forum Editor 20:02 03 Oct 05

I guess that most of us who consider ourselves experienced computer users have been caught out in this way at some point - the obvious is often the last thing to be tried.

polymath 20:22 03 Oct 05

Yes - it reminds me of an MsDos evening class (well, it was the 80s!), where the tutor (certainly an expert) spent ages fiddling about with programming batch files etc, to fix a blank screen - until someone tried the brightness knob.
'Check the simple things first' is a good mantra, even if we all slip up sometimes!

Thalmus 21:38 03 Oct 05

Same as one of my friends who put some more RAM in his computer and after he put it back together it would not switch on. He spent hours trying to troubleshoot it then he phoned me and i suggested he check the fuse in the plug..... he had it working again in 5 minutes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…