Done the A+ exam , now what?? Any ideas welcome!!

Kitz E Kat 20:59 26 Jul 03

Hi , its getting close to that time!! Must do things for the winter. Last Sept. i did the A+ exams.

Now i am thinking of doin something else.

Any advice as to what to do?

I do not work in the Computer industry, i wreak peoples houses instead, hey they pay me!!!

I was thinking of doin the Network+, or CCNA, or MCSE or,,, you get the picture.

The A+ is the only computer qualification i have at the mo.

Any advice from you guys would be great, id like to decide fairly soon so i can do a bit of ground work

Thanks
Kitz

graham√ 21:23 26 Jul 03

Decide what you like doing best, then get a job doing that! Preferably one that will give you day release for college and a company training program.

Big companies such as BT have such incentives, but are very difficult to even get past the paper sift, such is the demand.

So if you fancy being an IT technician, for example, you would have to present as a keen applicant who is determined to succeed.

It has to be said that gaining qualifications as a means of getting out of winter weather is not a good idea!

goonerbill 21:59 26 Jul 03

have just signed up for the a+ and n+ after mucking around with pc's for about 10 yrs. would suggest ya get a job first and gain experience before moving onto something like MCSE, as the fail rate on the MCSE is very high (80+%)

Gaz 25 22:04 26 Jul 03

Network+ is good.

But

To be MCSE qualified engineer it is hard work!

recap 22:23 26 Jul 03

Networking+ would be the best of your options listed Kitz E Kat. The MCSE as Gaz 25 says is very hard and it is recommended that you have at least 4 years hands on before undertaking the exams. click here to see what I mean about the exams.

Kitz E Kat 22:29 26 Jul 03

Its looking like the Network+ is wining the day,is the City and guilds networking any good, or is the Network+ better???
Kitz

Taran 22:33 26 Jul 03

Without a specific goal in mind its hard to advise one way or another.

To be honest, I didn't really find any advantage to gaining CISCO, A+, N+, MCSE or any one of the MCP's I did. Then again, I'm self employed and not out to wow employers with a list of qualifications as long as your arm.

Unless you have a particular area of interest or would like to head in one or another direction it is impossible to point you in any direction. I'm sure you already know the potential advantage to CISCO and MCSE if you are job hunting. On their own though, they are next to useless. People want to see a mixture of experience and qualifications and one without the other is less than desirable in the job marketplace today.

You'd be far better off identifying your own ares of interest and pursuing qualifications in those fields rather than asking us what to do next. What I like you may not and vice versa, so have a long hard think about what you enjoy (hardware, software, programming, networking) and make an informed decision based on preference.

Regards

Taran

Kitz E Kat 22:55 26 Jul 03

I like pulling computers apart!!!!!!!
Now putting back together..................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…