Domains and hosting

Damarc 11:20 26 Jul 08

Could someone please explain to me the variations that you need to upload a website. I have a Virginmedia broadband account and this allows me to have a website. I have used this facility to prepare a website for the local riding club but I'm not very good at it and another person is willing to take over. She says she needs a domain name under the riding club's name and asked me who will host it??? Do domains and hosting go together? Who would be a provider? Would the domain, host and provider all be the same for ease or is this impossible. I assume she can't use my account as it is secured by password which I wouldn't want to give out. Could someone spell it out simply to me please. Thank you so much.

Ditch999 11:50 26 Jul 08

There are a number of ways to host a website.
As you say, you get a small amount of webspace with your ISP and this can be used but you will need to access it with your broadband password and user account details which you say you do not want to give out (sensible)

Another option is to pay a web hosting company, like 1and1.co.uk, fasthosts.co.uk, webfusion.co.uk etc to host the site for you. They charge for this but if you shop around you can get special offers.

If you know someone PC savvy they can set up your own webserver to host the website but you need a PC that can be left running 24/7, 365 and someone who knows how to maintain and secure it.

You will also need to buy a Domain Name and it should be agreed with the Club what that should be, something like yourtownridingclub .co .uk and this will cost as well but the same applies, shop around. You can get them for £5 for 2 years then you have to renew it. This will also give you personal email addresses as well like yourname @ yourridingclub .co .uk

Ditch999 11:52 26 Jul 08

And yes, you can get one company to do it all. Have a look at a couple of the examples I gave or there is another one, 123-reg.co.uk you could look at.

DieSse 15:37 26 Jul 08

Domain name registration and hosting can go together, or you can do them with different companies.

Awardspace will host for free, without ads, they will give you free subdomains of the form ridingclub .awardspace.com if you wish.

You can get a proper domain name from any other source that allows you to do domain forwarding (most, if not all, I think). I use Go-Daddy, but you can shop around.

The Awardspace free hosting package is very good - reliable, good control panel, no ads or banners. I've got a couple of club types sites there.

click here

DieSse 15:38 26 Jul 08

Sorry - forgot - they can be totally independant of you service provider - in fact they normally would be.

spuds 18:58 26 Jul 08

You could look at Pickaweb click here who have a host of tutorial look and listen 'hold your hand' teach-ins, plus they will provide the domain and host the package.They also provide a free demo trial website set-up, so you can get an idea on how to set up your own website.

I use 1and1 click here who offer a very similar helpful service to that provided by Pickaweb.

spuds 19:02 26 Jul 08

Correction, first link (Pickaweb) incorrect, try click here

Damarc 07:54 27 Jul 08

Great, thank you sooo much for all your help.

Miked1 14:50 12 Aug 08

Found a useful list of UK only hosting providers here - click here .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…