Domain purchasing. Is Whois Privacy a must for me?

Jwbjnwolf 11:35 25 Jan 14

Hi. I am thinking about buying domains for my three websites so I can get away from using ".weebly.com" subdomains, which will make it more professional.

I first came to 1&1, then came to GoDaddy, and now I'm thinking about settling with 123-Reg.

I understand that what Whois Privacy does is make all your personal details such as full name, house address, phone number and email completely confidential if someone does a Whois search on your website.

I want to keep my location hidden from my online presence, so I am guessing that in that case this would be a must for me?

I'm new to all this because only this week have I decided to invest in some professional looking domains for my websites. Some of the reasons are:

• I want to have my domains after the @ in my email addresses (good way to promote your website I gather).

• I can imagine that the traffic to my websites will have a significant boost in figures over time than if I stay with the free Weebly subdomains.

• I know I'll eventually purchase domains in the future and this article I was reading says that it is better to jump into the domain name game early before you do get a incredibly big audience.

The domain names I've picked really are fantastic and very professional sounding so I'm pleased with them. They all are ".com" which is exactly what I wanted because I'm targeting the whole wide world as an audience. So I'm pretty pleased with the choice outcome I have got.

So again, judging from what I said about that I want to keep my location hidden from my online presence, the Whois Privacy is a must for me I am guessing? I think I might of answered my own question but still prefer to ask for some advice.

Thanks for any advice for all this. Jase

1]: [click here

Jwbjnwolf 13:24 26 Jan 14

Yesterday came across one of the YouTubers (I've been subscribed to for few years) websites which is Di Franco Hosting.

The prices he does for the domains. £6.24 a year for .com and then £4.97 on top gives you Whois Privacy. The site is powered GoDaddy's Reseller Hosting.

Considerably less then 123-Reg and also less than on GoDaddy site alone, and also less then 1&1.

Going to buy them all only for a year to start off as then I can see how reliable it works out to be before I take the plunge and buy for ten years or so.

1]: [click here

Forum Editor 17:41 26 Jan 14

"They all are ".com" which is exactly what I wanted because I'm targeting the whole wide world as an audience."

The whole world is potentially your audience regardless of the domain name suffix - it doesn't have to be a .com address.

The maximum period for which you can register a name is ten years, but most people renew every two years for convenience. Once you've registered a name you will have first call on its renewal anyway.

Unless you have a specific reason for registering several different names you might be far better advised to register the same number in different high levels - pick one, and register it as .com, .co.uk, and any others that you think might be worth protecting. You don't want to build traffic on a .com name only to find that someone else is busy doing the same thing on the .co.uk version of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac