Domain Names

Macaonasa 22:27 26 Jul 03

Where is the best (cheap hopefully) place to get a domain name?

Sir Radfordin 22:29 26 Jul 03

Oneandone click here have been fine for my needs and long may that continue. A great service and very easy to use. Also one of the cheapest I've seen.

Taran 10:42 27 Jul 03

Getting the domain name is only half the battle; finding someone to host the site at reasonable cost while offering the features you either want or need is the hard part.

Some hosting companies say they give you a registered domain name free if you take out their XYZ hosting package. Obviously they have simply built the small cost of domain name registration into the hosting package itself.

There are lots of hosting companies out there and most of them offer the actual registration of your domain for very little cost. Try the banner for Hostway at the top of this page, or as Sir Radfordin suggests, many people find 1&1 more than adequate for their needs and they are pretty easy to get to grips with and relatively inexpensive.

Alternatives could include Areti at click here , Easily at click here , 2020 Media at click here and Webfusion at click here . There are loads more but the above should give you some idea of the variations of cost and features offered by different hosts.

Keep in mind that less expensive is not necessarily more cost efficient. I always suggest newcomers to the web (in terms of designing and having your site(s) hosted on registered domains) pay for a better service than go for the least expensive option. Tech support and general advice over the phone (without having to wait for your email to be answered) is worth its weight in gold until you get your head around the file systems used by hosts and how different publishing methods can affect them on your site root folder.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Taran

Macaonasa 11:35 27 Jul 03

I'm content to let ntl host the site but simply want the domain name.

wint 13:01 27 Jul 03

Hi.

I have used Easily click here for 4 or 5 years now. No problems and reasonable at £9.99 for a .co.uk for 2 years inc. web & e-mail forwarding.

barryoneoff.co.uk 13:42 27 Jul 03

at oneandone.

phil 20:02 27 Jul 03

Gotta be Easily.

I have four sites hosted with Easily. All on Virtual Servers and never had one single problem in four years.

Their Control Panel can be a little confusing but they are working on that. You can even check a sites stats from within the Control Panel now. About time!

They're not the cheapest. I have done a site for someone who had it hosted at a cheapo, 123-reg, and it was the proverbial pig to work with.

Aspman 15:08 28 Jul 03

My mate Barry.

He charges £10 for 2 years on a co uk. And free hosting for me!

click here

Forum Editor 18:45 28 Jul 03

I purchase on behalf of clients are bought from Areti Internet Ltd - as linked by Taran above. My sites are also all hosted by them. They are a small but thoroughly professional company, and I've dealt with them for years.

There are no doubt other hosts that are just as good, and I keep meaning to try a few different ones. One day I'll have the time to shop around.

Xevious 16:18 29 Jul 03

try this: click here

been using them for a while now, cheap with good service

Macaonasa 23:52 30 Jul 03

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…