Domain name & Web Location

cbr keith 20:34 21 May 05

Me again!
Although I have my own site, I've not had to buy & setup a domain as it was all provided for me with my broadband connection.

My rifle club has asked me to look into a cheap way of getting them a web site. I can do the design bit (with LOTS of help from NOF) but I have some questions for you...

If I want to buy a domain name e.g. rifleclub.any, where do I go?

Can I then use some free webspace (most ISP's provide a few MB) and make ww.rifleclub.any "point" to ww.freespace.any/rifleclub/index.html?

I'm sure this is all bread & butter stuff to you guys, but I've searched the web for an answer & it's all French to me.

Thanks for you help (again)

Oh, by the way, I don't speak French!

spuds 21:52 21 May 05

You could try click here I use this company,and have recommended them in the past, but I believe some people have been having problems with them recently.

Forum Editor 00:58 22 May 05

when you can host your own domain name with a proper host?

The company that I use as my main host

click here can provide you with a really well-specified hosting package for £30 a year.

cbr keith 21:02 22 May 05

Just been to have a look at heart internet and they seem to offer an awful lot for the £30!

I am very much a newbie, but things that look so good don't always live up to expectations...

Have you any reservations about them? Or shall I dive in with both feet?

I don't mean to doubt you, I just don't want to recommend them to my club (they'll be paying) and then be let down...

blowworm 21:23 22 May 05

Hi all,

Im looking to putting a couple of links to Vids on my website after a couple of weeks i have finally got a trial running at click here

Then click the vid link.

The prob is the file sise is 1.7mb just for that short clip, any ideas of programmes to compress the file before i upload as my hosting package only gives me 25mb total?

Be very great full the vid is me hurtling along loch lihnnie!

James

spuds 23:04 22 May 05

Best to start your own thread, for a better response. This thread titles will not cover your subject ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…