Domain Name Scam - DOMAIN REGISTRY SERVICES

thegreypanther 20:20 30 Jul 04

Having thought that I was aware of "Phishing" scams and wouldn't fall for them, I was mugged yesterday. I received a domain name renewal notice from "DOMAIN REGISTRY SERVICES" of Cambridge.
An official letter, with an addressed envelope, was sent to my home address requesting renewal of my domain name and requested prompt payment.
I checked my paperwork to find that, yes, my domain name WAS due for renewal and the fee requested was what I had last paid.
So I sent off the cheque.
Fortunately, this morning I was alerted to this being a scam and promptly cancelled the cheque (£10 fee) and informed the police (who looked very puzzled).
Are other people aware of this scam?
Is any further damage likely by having responded to these people?

spuds 20:56 30 Jul 04

This type of scam is nothing new, and it as been doing the circuits for quite a while. 1&1 have recently notified some of their subscribers about recent problems with one of these scamming companies and domains registered through 1&1.

If you go to the Nominet website, you can obtain information about any domain registered with them. Perhaps a worthwhile suggestion to check this out, and see if your domain is about due for renewal. If so, get things moving if you want to retain the domain,and contact a reputable or your previous domain name supplier.

nooney 21:26 30 Jul 04

A word of warning , I have a company and registered it for co. uk and com.
Last week I received a call that another company was trying to register my complete company name as a URL address, but I could also have the name registered for a number of pound notes if I acted quickly.
Watch out for this cam.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…