domain name query

Smokeyone 07:45 20 May 07

In 1999 a friend of mine set up a website with my domain name. He has since moved abroad and I have lost touch. The site is still up but I would like to delete/amend it. It was set up via Line One now Tiscali who cannot help.
My domain is registered via Nicnames who are now Easy Space but I can access their control centre.
What do I do now and can I now set up my own site with my domain.
Many thanks for any advice.

Forum Editor 08:54 20 May 07

the renewal fees for your domain since 1999?

That's the person who will almost certainly have access to it. If it's not you, and you can't contact your friend, you'll have to prove your right to the name before the parking host (Easy Space) will provide you with control panel access.

Once you have access to your domain name you can do whatever you like with it, and move it to a new host if that's what you want to do.

If you're not sure who the official registrant is you can find out by doing a WHOIS search. If you're not sure how to do that post back here and give us the name, one of us will do it for you.

Smokeyone 08:59 20 May 07

I have been paying the fees.
I have control panel access with easy space, have not done anything with it but I did log in okay.
I am the official registrant as I already looked up my own domain name.
Are you saying I can delete my line one site from the easy space control panel !

Thanks again

Forum Editor 23:13 20 May 07

and you have access to it via an FTP login you can do whatever you like, including deleting the site files.

Smokeyone 05:57 21 May 07

I almost certain that my mate put up the site on his Line One space. Is there a way of checking !

harristweed 10:00 21 May 07

If the site is on Line One it won't matter, as you have access to the domain name you can 'point' the name to a new host. The domain is with Easy Space they are the probably the best choice (less hastle). They charge £25 a year for a basic hosting package. This can be set up and the domain name assigned within minutes then it won't matter where the original site is hosted or what it contains, as it won't show. You can then upload a new website your 'Easy Space' hosting at your leisure.

Smokeyone 11:43 21 May 07

Thanks for the help. If I understand correctly a new site with Easy Space is the easiest way to sort it out but I still am puzzled by leaving the old site as is. For instance in Google if you type the site address, it finds it and says do you mean this one - so how will Google know which one to show !

Thanks again

harristweed 12:13 21 May 07

Googles searches contain a link to the domain name, therefore if the domain is linked to a new site, thats what will show. The only way the old site will display is if the 'cashed pages' option is chosen. You can't do anything about this but these old pages will disappear in time as Google respiders the site.

Smokeyone 12:18 21 May 07

I do appreciate the advice, so basically all I have to do is set up a new space with Easy Space and of course come up with a new site.
Then if someone types in the domain name either directly or via a Google search they will be directed to the new site and not the old one.
Have I got it right !
Cheers

Sebastian Ereira 12:51 21 May 07

what was the domain name

Smokeyone 20:15 21 May 07

It's not a secret but why do you ask !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…