Domain Name & Hosting

KW2K 17:26 06 Dec 04

Hi Again ! I'm looking for a company to Supply me with a Domain name and Hosting. I've been recommended by a friend to look at "webmania.co.uk". I think this looks good value for what I need, but does anyone know of any hidden extras I need to know about ? Seems to good to be true !! Does anyone have experience of this company ?

Regards.

Forum Editor 17:37 06 Dec 04

and so do some of your fellow forum members. So far I have no complaints, although it's true to say I haven't made much use of the account to date.

KW2K 18:42 06 Dec 04

Thanks for the comment Ed, Does anyone else have comments on this topic ?

Cheers !

Gaz 25 18:55 06 Dec 04

Webmania, and actually use it. They all, from what they say, seem impressed.

Taran 21:33 06 Dec 04

Several months ago certain accounts on WebMania experienced a series of outages. This has not happened since, at least to me, and the montioring scripts I have in place all report favourable uptime.

WebMania certainly offer very good value for money.

This is a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario. 1000 people registering with a web host will all have a slightly different experience but pretty much all of them will be very positive.

So far I have only good things to say about WebMania

KW2K 22:07 06 Dec 04

OK Guy's, thanks for the info ! I may as well go with them. Incidently, when you register a Domain Name, is it possible to stop having your name and address published. It's just that I noticed when looking up domain names, sometimes you can see who owns them including the name and address. I would'nt like this to happen ! How open would that be to spam !!

Regards.

Forum Editor 00:20 07 Dec 04

you will find that by default your name will automatically be published in the WHOIS record by Nominet UK (The official registrar for the .co.uk high level).

You may ask for your address to be excluded, but yoy can only do so if you do not intend to publish a commercial website of any description on the name.

If your site has any commercial purpose whatsoever, or if you intend to publish such a site in the future you must not ask for your address to be excluded. If you do, and Nominet subsequently discover that you're using the name for any commercial purpose they have the power to arbitrarily remove the name from you and return it to the pool for registration by someone else. Don't take that risk. You aren't likely to be spammed from the WHOIS record, but you should take care not to include any hyperlinks to your email address on your website - put your address on the site in plain text. Hyperlinks will definitely result in spam sooner or later.

Patr100 00:21 07 Dec 04

I have a couple of sites with Webmania. As mentioned, there was a problem with frequent outages a while back and my sites are also constantly monitored for down time. Ironically, I have to say that the two sites have just had downtime reported more than once today.
For a very cheap hosting site they are acceptable but if you intend to have a site that cannot tolerate any downtime - I would be a bit wary. There may be hosts out there that can guarantee 100% uptime but they won't cost £20 a year.

Re: having your details published via the whois search. If you are a private individual and have a co.uk domain you can opt out of having your full details shown but strictly speaking other domains such as .coms do not allow an opt out though some domain providers may allow you to list them as the contact rather than you.

KW2K 00:34 07 Dec 04

That's great Guy's, thanks for all the input to this posting !

Regards.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:40 29 Dec 04

Bookmark

T1Cybernetic 01:48 06 Jan 05

Bookmarked also, and thanks for the links to click here i believe thats just what i need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…