Domain Name - change of ownership

Micklemass 08:04 10 Jul 04

I have designed a website for a hospice but have the following problem.

The domain name was registered on behalf of the hospice by a local college and hosted on their own server. The intention was for the college to run the site. Hoever I am unable to upload files directly and would have to send everything by e-mail for the college. They are happy to transfer the name to the hospice for them to find a host but I need to know how and who needs to do what.

Forum Editor 08:26 10 Jul 04

to the hospice, and that the college simply hosts it?

That being the case, you'll need to decide on a new host first. Once you've done that, upload a copy of the site to the new host's server and ask them to request the college to retag the name to their (the new hosts') name server. You'll need to ask someone at the hospice to send a fax to the college, confirming that they should accept the retag request when it arrives. Once the college retags the name there'll be a delay of about 24 hours (often less) while the Domain Name Servers (DNS) around the world update their databases. During this time the site will disappear from the internet.

Once the DNS databases are updated (an automatic process) the copy of the site that's on the new host's server will magically appear as the name resolves to their name server(s).

If the ownership of the site is in the college's name they'll need to initiate the transfer of registration to the hospice. This is simply a matter of completing a form - usually online - and waiting for the transfer process to complete. The procedure varies slightly, depending on the high level that the domain name is in (.com, .org etc.) but it's pretty straightforward, and full details of how to do it can be found on the website of the registering organisations, or in the documentation that arrived following the original registration.

Micklemass 09:21 10 Jul 04

Thanks FE

The college registered the name xxx.org.uk so will let them have the instructions. Could get them to host it somewhere accesible to me but think it is better that the hospice is shown as the registered owner.

Cheers
Micklemass

spuds 23:25 17 Jul 04

I would have a word with the college, and get them to transfer the domain registration to the hospice as the domain owner. This could save later problems. Is the domain due for renewal soon, if so, it would probably be the best time to transfer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…