Domain email - how to send and receive with W7?

Graham. 23:30 22 Oct 10

At present I am using Windows Mail with Vista to do this. I will soon need to send and receive emails from my domain website using Windows 7. I believe this is Hotmail based.

Is this going to be a problem?

northumbria61 00:13 23 Oct 10

You may find something here (says it is for Vista but may work for Win 7) using GMail.
click here

rdave13 00:31 23 Oct 10

As for Windows seven it's a 'cloud' based option.
Study this link if you will; click here
Hope it helps.

Graham. 09:28 23 Oct 10

Any connection to click here?

Taff™ 10:14 23 Oct 10

I`m not grasping the problem here. If you have a domain name with mail boxes you can use Windows Live Mail as your desktop client (Just like Outlook or Windows Mail) to send and receive e-mails from your Windows 7 PC.

Your domain hosting company will probably also have a facility for you to log in to your mailbox using a Control Panel, Web Based interface (Just like Hotmail or Googlemail)to send/receive messages that way as well.

Or have I misunderstood?

Graham. 11:17 23 Oct 10

Thanks all, I understand. I sign in to Hotmail and send/receive from there.

So you have to keep looking for messages, unlike Windows Mail which gives a notification?

Taff™ 09:02 24 Oct 10

Windows Live Mail is the program which replaces, and works very similarly to Windows Mail. It will notify you of new mail providing it is running on your computer. It will also download e-mails from your domain if set up to do so and you can reply from you computer using your domain address. (There are some minor issues with BT and SKY when doing this)

Option two is to log into your domain mailbox using a browser such as Internet Explorer or Google Chrome and view your e-mails, reply and send from there. This is called Web based mail and is LIKE hotmail in that respect.

If you really want to use your hotmail account to handle all your e-mails you have to set up a redirect on your domain mailbox to forward (Copy) all incoming e-mails to that account.

This will mean that any replies you send will appear to have come from your hotmail account and not your domain e-mail address - which in my mind defeats the object of having your own domain and e-mail address.

birdface 10:09 24 Oct 10

You have to keep looking for messages on windows live mail.
I suppose you would get updates if you let messenger run at start up.
I have set Windows Live Mail to run at start up and thats it I think you would need to keep it minimized for it to update.
Running it at start up opens WLM and will let you see if there is any updates but I am afraid that you have to open it all of the time to see if any further updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…