Domain

Mr-Alive 12:44 10 Feb 06

Hello, If i wanted to buy a domain name and run a web server and email from my home server how would I go about the dns setup, I understand that I need to specify DNS hostnames when I register the domain, would I use my ISP (NTL) DNS hostnames?

Cheers
Andy

keewaa 20:26 10 Feb 06

You would need a static IP from NTL, but they chnage every sop often so you'd have to use a dynamic DNS server so people could still find you when your NTL IP changes. Remember upload speed is way below download speed, so if you intend any kind of use out of your server you would be stuffed if on a standard home contract.

Forum Editor 09:28 11 Feb 06

you may find that your NTL service agreement prohibits you from running a web-server on your home connection.

Apart from that, to do the job properly you would need a fixed IP address, and you get a dymaically-assigned one from NTL, as keewaa says. This would mean that if you intend to run an SMTP service you would also find that some companies (AOL is one) would probably refuse mail from your server.

There's more to running a successful web-server than meets the eye, and unless your idea is simply to have a bit of fun I recommend that you drop it. Professional hosting services are now so cheap, and so good that it's just not worth the hassle.

Mr-Alive 22:56 11 Feb 06

Thanks For your help, was just for a bit of fun really, wasn't gonna really use as a web server more of an email server but might just get hosting instead

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…