Dollally computer

kindly 11:51 10 Mar 09

On sunday I decided to update my windows media player to windows media vertion 10. I wish I had not done it. I got the new one but in the act of doing so the computer took a wobly.
Whenever i tried to access the microsoft update site I was redirected to the Google search page, no matter what I did. I could go to my home page and that was about it.
All my anti virus and spyware programs refused to run or update. Because of this i could not check for any sort of infection. My restore went out the window and everything was cleaned out there, so no restore points were visable.
I did manage to get into safe mode and get online to F-secure, it being the only site I could get to, and use an online scanner. It only found three cookies that it marked up as spyware and deleted them.
When I restarted the computer, it was the same as before. I did try using my restore disc and do a windows repair. This stuck at a point near the end where it says its building file list. I eventually had to do a complete format and load windows in again.
Its all ok now and with all the crap out of it, it is fast again. Anyway, I dont know what went on and was just wondering if anyone else had heard of this happening.
I have not downloaded anything other than legal stuff, so cannot blame that.

birdface 13:00 10 Mar 09

Not a great fan of WMP.I think it is time they were coming up with a removal tool for it. Did you not try reverting back to the earlier edition or do a system restore to a date before you updated it.

kindly 17:43 10 Mar 09

Yes I did a restore before I started. Thats one thing I always do because I have been caught out in the past. The restore points were all emptied by whatever went wrong. It was as if I had turned it of myself.
I dont like the WMP now and feel the same as you do. Pity it cannot be removed altogether. Its like life, its there and you got to deal with it. lol

ened 17:47 10 Mar 09

Try pressing F8 as you boot and pick the 'Boot to last Good Configuration' option.

Wak 22:03 10 Mar 09

Can't Windows Media Player be removed by going to Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and in the left panel click on "Remove Windows Components"???
WMP is near the bottom of the list.

kindly 08:23 11 Mar 09

You can remove the new version if you have updated but the original will allways replace it then you go in to the cycle of the updates. I know you can stop a particular item from being downloaded.
I have formated and reinstalled XP so everything has been updated now by the microsoft update system. In one sence I am pleased because it gives the computer a new start and is quicker for the time being anyway.
I am trying out bit defender to see what that is like as a line of protection. I am using the six month licence version from the magazine disc of pc advisor. Has anyone had anything to do with it and would they recomend a full years licence.
cheers everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…