Doing the right thing

ajm 01:38 09 Aug 04

One of my friend has decided to ditch Norton Internet Secuirty Suite and download the Free AVG and ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Free version and alo downloading AdAware.

I am concerned that by ditching Norton Internet Security Suite for the free AVG and ZoneAlarm, he may loose out on features available in the paid-for Norton Internet Security. Also I am concerned about the amount of times he may call me when he has a problem.

Will he have the same level of protection of NIS by downloading AVG and ZoneLabs???

hugh-265156 02:00 09 Aug 04

providing your friend keeps any AV software installed and up to date and scans regularly with it, i doubt they will have any problems. free avg in my opinion, is as good as any and a lot more user friendly than some AV software. updates are regular too, so its well supported.

switching from NIS though will mean that your friend will maybe also wish to replace the norton firewall (as NIS includes AV + firewall) free zonealarm is extremely easy to use and configure click here also very good.

adaware is a fantastic little free spyware removal tool and i also would recommend it. back this up with spybot click here keep these up to date just like the AV, scan regularly and delete anything they find. spywareblaster click here will then also stop any spy/adware nasties from getting installed in the first place.

i use all the above and never have any problems with them whatsoever.

hugh-265156 02:07 09 Aug 04

ask your friend to also visit windows update click here and download and install anything listed as critical or security related.

JoeC 07:50 09 Aug 04

Check how your antivirus fares

click here

Firewall tests ( a cracking site to visit)

click here

byfordr 09:00 09 Aug 04

click here as endorsed by GANDALF <|:-)>

JoeC 09:14 09 Aug 04

Same site as my second click here. : }

JoeC 09:19 09 Aug 04

Oh dear, I see what you mean now. I don't think it used to do that !

JoeC 09:27 09 Aug 04

Firewalls explained and compared
Go to

click here

click " Shields up "
Go down to " Hot Spots "
Click on " Shields up "
click " Proceed "
Go down to No. 7 - Firewalls

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…